1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best pickups for a Bass VI?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RaniBrandt, Jun 1, 2012.

1. RaniBrandt

RaniBrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    My next build (for the build challenge, actually) is going to be a Telemaster-style Bass VI, something along the lines of this:

telemaster-bass-vi.jpg

My question is this: What would be the best 2-pickup neck/bridge situation for such a thing? I know the original Bass VI used Jag pickups, but I'm looking to go with a tele-shaped bridge pickup to fit my bridge, and then whatever would be best for the neck position.

I'm mainly wondering what resistance I should be looking for in each position, for optimal performance with Bass VI strings--for picking bass lines and also strumming chords.

Thanks!

2. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    P90's are great. Check with Curt Novak, he might be able to make something that will fit those routes you want.

3. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    I'd start with matching reverse wound Tele style pickup.

4. RaniBrandt

RaniBrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    I ended up going with a 6.6K Tele neck and 7K Tele bridge, both from the GFS Pro Series. We'll see how it goes!

And thanks for the suggestions, fellas.:)