Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best pickups for a passive guy

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    So, I'm going to buy an SX soon and turn it into a major project bass.

I've figured that I'm not much of a guy for the active bass tone. I like the good old-fashioned passive jazz tone. So what pickups should I toss in? I've read good things about DiMarzio Ultra Jazzes. Anyone have experiences with those, and/or Fender custom 60s, or the pricey Lindy Fralins?

I'm looking for a bright defined tone, that still has some bass in there. However, I think it's good to keep in mind that the SX is ash with a maple neck, and will already be tonally bright. So does anyone have personal preferences?

BTW, what pickups are in the Geddy sig?

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
  3. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    OK, thanks.

I'm interested in Nordstrands and Di Marzios, however I think I may be doing the custom thing with Warmoth parts now, because I think it's probably a better investment.

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I suggest you read those threads, and go through a bunch of the back pages here at the pickups forum. And I think you should buy some Jason Lollar single coils, so someone besides me can rave about them.