Best pickups for growl... I know... a subject that's never been seen before ;)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OriginalCrash, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Nordstrand NJ4SE

16.4%
  2. Nordstrand Dual Coils

4.9%
  3. Nordstrand Fat Stacks

4.9%
  4. Norstrand Big Singles

6.6%
  5. Nordstrand Big Splits

1.6%
  6. Fender '75 RI

6.6%
  7. Fender CS 60's

16.4%
  8. Sadowsky Singles

9.8%
  9. Seymour Duncan Antiquity II

6.6%
  10. Fralin single coils

9.8%
  11. Lakland single coils

3.3%
  12. Aeros (your choice which ones)

11.5%
  13. Delano Hybrid (with matching single coil jazz pickup at the neck)

1.6%
  14. Dark Stars

19.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. So I know it's been talked about on here a plenty (just got done reading thread after thread about it, in fact), but I don't remember ever seeing a poll to get a good idea of who loves what and how many... And it's late, and I'm bored. ;) Anyway, what pickups do you guys believe are the absolute best for growl? These aren't all jazz bass pickups, and different people have different ideas of growl, and your favorite may not even be on here (again, it's late)... That's all well and good... Feel free to vote, reply, chime in... or don't.

Brian

P.S. And just for anyone who sees the poll but doesn't want to read through the thread, I'll post it here, too... I apologize; I meant to put "other" as a final option but completely forgot. Sorry.

2. EMGs growls much -- this growl cannot be notched, these pickups always sounds aggressive, whatever EQ set

3. Why isn't the Dimarzio Model P and Model J on there?

I've had EMG p/j's with a BQC preamp and although they are bright and have bite, they don't compare to the nasty, snarling, midrange grind of the Model P and Model J when you dig in for more.

This is where the EMG's just "click" louder.

If we're talking about bridge growl here, ala the strings, then the pickups are not as much in the equation. I was talking about the gutsy, grindy type of growl.

przemvelbenny likes this.
  4. misfit-x

misfit-x

Jul 10, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    DiMarzio X2N-B

5. LeftHandedFrog

LeftHandedFrog

Dec 29, 2008
    Copenhagen
    You r missing growling monsters , the MFD from G&L!!!!

6. Dang it, I for to put "other" as an option... I apologize... It was late. :smug:

Brian

7. heavyhitter

heavyhitter

Jan 24, 2008
    SD antiquity II's and DiMarzio Model J's. For the $$ though DiMarzio's pull ahead IMO.

8. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    Dimarzio P - hands down for me.

My biggest problem was finding one that worked as well for the custom 5 string Neil Moser is making for me. The Dimarzio P does not have a 5 string version. After a long search I went with a custom wind from Nordstrand - bass is not built yet so I don't know how close they came.

9. punkanidea

punkanidea

Jan 6, 2009
    nordstrand nj4 true single coil!! :D

this pickup is amazing!! i like it's tone balance. you can get high without losing the low, and of course, the mid low. so, you can easily get your growl by using bridge pickup n picking on top of it. well, actually growly thing is obtained by locating your pickups in proper position as jazz bass (it's 2.25" measured from the 34" scale, right?).

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    It entirely depends what YOUR translation of growl specifically is. To some growl is low mid/mid related. To others it's distortion zingy metal oriented. To others it's something that most don't even consider 'growl'.

I believe at last count there was 1,324 translations of what growl was here on Talkbass.

ooops... make that 1,325

er... 1,326

crap... 1,328

:: sigh ::

11. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Where's the G&L MFD humbucker!

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Define "growl."

13. What I originally said...

Look, I know it's subjective. But if someone accounts for that in their original post, there's really no point in saying it again and again. Just answer how you feel... or don't answer at all. This is a simple Talkbass poll, nothing more. It's not like it's the latest Gallup poll on Fox News and we really need to dissect the polling process, question asked, etc. Sorry, I just hate it when someone offers a disclaimer or mentions they know something is subjective, and then people come in telling them exactly what they already said... :confused:

Brian

squidtastic likes this.
  14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    So...then we both agree this is an utterly meaningless exercise? :confused:

15. It is not so much about the brand of pickup. It is about how you set them to interact with each other. The same set of pickups can be adjusted for growl or a smoother tone.

Your bass has a tone that has to take into account the bass as a whole, and not just one part.

16. Okay, if you really want to split hairs, ANY thread asking for someone else's opinion or experience is meaningless. I could have tried every single pickup in every single bass out there (not realistic, I know), but that still doesn't mean my ears would have heard it all exactly like yours... or that I would have liked/disliked it the same as you... or that the words I'd use to describe it, even being as objective as possible, would bring to mind the same tone as they do you. No, this isn't scientific, so I suppose you can call it "meaningless" if you want. But I didn't send you a PM and ask YOU to contribute, specifically... If you feel it's a waste of time, don't comment. It's just my opinion, but it's not that uncommon to see it here on Talkbass... Don't go into somebody's thread just to say it's waste of time. It's disrespectful, annoying, and, well, a waste of time.

Brian

17. JazzyLambert

JazzyLambert

Dec 8, 2008
    Australia
    the pre-amps are important, when it comes to growl too

18. Yes, thank you for pointing that out... ;) I'm pretty sure we all know that growl comes from the instrument itself, pickup choice, pickup placement, preamp (or lack thereof), amp, hand position, and overall technique... Heck, if you're playing fingerstyle, the length of your fingernails even comes into play. Now, back to the pickups... :smug:

Brian

19. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Dimarzio P's and J's

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yes, not only do you have to clearly define your terminology (missing here), but you have to be able to effectively isolate the factors contributing to the outcome to avoid misattribution.

Misattribution of effect to some degree is almost universal in gear discussions and is frequently absolute -- rendering them meaningless. :rolleyes:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021