1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best pickups for metal (just kidding)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lee H, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I do have a question about pickups though. Has anyone tried the Dimarzio ultra jazz pickups with the passive/active Fender deluxe controls?. I would really like to hear from someone who has done this, or better yet, sound clips
    I went ahead and ordered a, brand new, loaded control plate for a US Fender Standard Deluxe. So money is spent, that is the controls that will be in my project/junk pile bass. I have the dimarzio pups in a box (somewhere), but it will really going to bug me to get everything set up, and not like the tone. I am arguing with myself over ordering new pups as well.

2. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    bump..

3. There is no way to tell how it will sound, or if you'll like it or not. Try it, if you don't like it, change the pups. All anyone can tell you is it will sound like a 'Jazz Bass.'

4. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    Yeah..I was hoping someone had all ready done it, and could give me a little insight. ... That and if the Dimarzios really work well, I save the money of new pups.
    I started this project using parts I had. Now it seems it could end up costing me more than a new bass would have

5. Don't sweat it, Lee. Put it together and try it. Maybe you'll love it just the way it is. You never know.

6. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    it seems the decision is being made for me...I have one of those daughter things, and she has come up with quite a Christmas list... I do not think I would enjoy new pups nearly as much as she would enjoy some of the stuff on her list.
    So for now, I will save the money, use the pups I have, and spend the money on my kid... Then I can always blame her if I do not like the sound:p

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    this preamp is the one without the passive/active switch or anything, just B/M/T?

if it's the same as they've used for all these years, it's voiced for the rather dull and quiet "noiseless" jazz pickups. as such, the ultras are going to jump out, coming across as loud and a bit bright.

8. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
  9. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I had the older model preamp with UJs and then Sadowskys. Both sounded phenomenally better than the original setup.

th_100_2198.

It's a video, click it!

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i had no idea you could buy that separately!

i would expect it to be a little closer to "flat" if they wanted the passive setting to be worth anything by comparison. looks like a good choice.

11. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    my local fender shop said they could order it. They came through. I don't know how they did it, but they did. They called someone, and handed me a phone with a tech on the other end. We talked. I liked what I heard. I got off the phone, and swiped my credit card...

I was ecstatic, to say the least.