1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best pickups for modern metal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris Schmid, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Chris Schmid

Chris Schmid

Oct 1, 2018
    Hello, I'm predominantly a guitarist, and I'd like to learn some stuff.
    I'm currently working with a yamaha trbx 305, and I'd like to upgrade the pickups. I'm just not exactly sure what to look for, for this style of bass. I play metal for the most part and am wondering what's a good pickup to upgrade to for the genre. I know it's a loaded question because it's all about opinion, I'm just looking for a starting point.
    Also it's for studio use only.
    Thanks for any input!

2. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    EMG pickups

saabfender likes this.
  3. Chris Schmid

Chris Schmid

Oct 1, 2018
    Anything specific??

4. I'm not sure I'd change TRBX pickups, as they seem fine to me.
    What I did not like is their "style' switch.

5. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I would not be in hurry to change the stock pickups either...
    But if you want to buy replacement pickups for metal, lots of metal players have EMG in their guitars and basses.
    They have a slew of 5 string soapbar shaped bass pickups to choose from.

6. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Don't be in a hurry to modify your bass, pretty sure that it'll be fine as standard.

You don't say what sort of bass equipment you have in your studio (amp/pedals/etc.). If you're using guitar kit to get your bass sound, maybe look at more bass specific gear, as it'll retain the low end better.

7. I'd also recommend to first look into other options like preamps or pedals or maybe even look into specific playing techniques for metal. Yamaha makes imo some of the best stock pickups voiced for the specific bass. On the TRBX305 they also are Yamaha proprietary design so there is no perfectly fitting replacement.

8. Chris Schmid

Chris Schmid

Oct 1, 2018
    Alrighty then, it looks like I'm just gonna have to save my money and get better at playing the instrument! Thanks for all the help guys!

9. The pickups in the TRBX are very similar to the pickups in Ibanez's SRX (SR eXtreme) series & they're pretty great for Heavy Metal.

Ibanez
    s-l300.
    feature_pickup3_740x300_5ef2a821872b714bd1d2f65a852a024c.
    TRBX

If you want MIDs, just back off on treble & bass.