Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Pickups for OBP-1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by elbass, Feb 8, 2002.

1. elbass

elbass

Aug 6, 2001
    San Antonio TX
    I recently installed an Agular OBP-1 preamp in my Carvin Bunny Brunell 5-String. I'm also considering upgrading my pickups. I'm a fan of Bartolinis, but contributers to another thread here suggest that Barts only sound good with a Bart preamp. If that's the case, does anyone have a recommendation for pickups to use with an OBP-1?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't know about the "Barts only sound good with a Bart preamp" thing. I had a Fender P-Lyte and installed a Bartolini P pickup in it. Even though the Fender preamp isn't that good, and doesn't compare with either the Aguilar or Bartolini preamps, it still sounded very good, better than the stock Fender pickup (which was kind of the point...). I didn't try the same pickup with a Bart preamp, so I can't compare, but with the Fender preamp it sounded good.

3. elbass

elbass

Aug 6, 2001
    San Antonio TX
    Just to elaborate a little more...the OBP-1 really pumps up the bass and the treble, so I would think that a pickup with a pronounced midrange peak would be pretty compatable. Thoughts on that, anyone?

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, it wouldn't quite make sense to me as a general statement. If you have a PU with a midrange peak, I don't see why it would *necessarily* be any more compatible. AFAIK, the Aguilar only pumps up the bass and treble if you turn the bass and treble controls up. Thus, it could be that all that getting a midrange-heavy PU would mean would be that you'd have to turn the OBP up *higher* to get the tone you want. So you might have to turn the knobs up to 7 to get a sound you could get by turning them up only to 4 with a flatter-response PU. See what I mean?

Also, since the Ag doesn't have a mid control and both its controls are boost-only anyway, you won't be able to take *out* any midrange on the bass itself if you later decide your PU has too much. You'll only be able to compensate on the bass by turning up the bass and treble. Which might work fine, but might not.

My bias--and it's only that, obviously--is that with active tone controls, because of their typically wide range, you're generally better off with a reasonably flat (not necessarily ruler-flat) PU than with a peaky one. But there are few rules in tone, and who knows, you might hit a serendipitous combination ....

It really depends most on what kind of sound you want. If you like a lot of mids, the Ag may not be the ideal preamp anyway, since it has no mid control. And if you don't like a lot of mids, it wouldn't, to me, make sense to buy a middly PU only to try to EQ the mids away.

5. elbass

elbass

Aug 6, 2001
    San Antonio TX
    I was looking at some of the Duncan Bass Lines pickups and I was starting to think that maybe a lower output pickup with a more flat response may very well be a good choice. Your comments make a lot of sense to me, Richard. Thanks.

6. i know that Spector gives the option of an EMG preamp or an Aguilar OBP-1...so i'm guessing EMG pickups are good with the Aguilar preamp...???:confused:???...:D

7. So true, the OBP-1 and EMG pickups seem to be the most common pair. Check out the EMG "Extended Series" pickups at www.emginc.com
    and you should find the right pickup there...