1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best pickups in warwick for growl and more?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi,

I am planning on getting a Warwick Streamer or a Thumb, but I really do not like MEC's. Right now I'm looking at Basslines with a STC preamp, but I'm open to other suggestions. I am not very fond of EMG pickups, but don't know how they would pair up with the Warwick.

Thanks

-Arpeggi

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The "Warwick" growl comes from MECs. That's why it's the "Warwick" growl.

I had a Corvette 6-banger with Barts in it for a while, and it didn't honk nearly as much as my MEC-equipped Thumb N/T.

The wood/construction is the main ingredient, but if you've got a top-of-the-line Warwick you'll get that sound with the stock electronics.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I thought the growl came from the strings based on the body resonance; I've heard of people getting good results from EMGs. That being said I like the way both of my LXs sound with the MECs in them so I don' think I'll be testing anything else int hem anytime soon. What is your beef with MEC pickups? Have you owned a bass with them or are you basing that opinion on posts by people who have replaced them? I'm thinking with time you could find posts where just about every brand was replaced by something else. I saw one where Nordstrands were replaced which kind of threw me off but I suppose there's no one pickup that's best for everybody.

4. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    I have used many Warwicks at guitar stores with MEC's and it's just missing something that I want

5. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Could i get a nice growl with Delanos?

6. remigioremigio

remigioremigio

Feb 17, 2008
    thumb 6 NT wenge neck and body......with barts......yummie!
    this one growls like no other.
    i seriously am not a fan for MEC pu´s...sorry.

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    So the Warwicks you checked out didn't growl? What makes you think the problem is the pickups?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there are a lot of factors that contribute to the sound of a bass, and the guitar store (gc in particular) is hardly the ideal situation to evaluate the sound of a bass, sadly enough. Have you also played Warwicks with non-MEC pickups installed and heard better results? Also, if you could better define that "something" that is missing, folks would be able to help you a lot more.

Not that swapping out the pickups is a bad idea. I've often considered replacing the passive MEC p/j setup in my Fortress One with something more Fender styled. But then I plug in and hear that GRRRRRR. I tend to think the MECs' role in the trademark Warwick sound is exaggerated. Especially considering the fact that my pickups are actually passive and the thing SNARLS. That said, if it ain't broke don't fix it - so they MECs have stayed.

8. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I have Delano jazz set on my Corvette 4 string. It sound like the MEC pickup but add more clarity to the sound, balance it up so it sound nicely and all balance. It give more Mid boost on the delano i use which is what i wanted in the first place (more mids). The bass still growl like a warwick should.

9. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The Warwick growl comes from the instrument acoustically emphasized by the selection of where they stick the pickups. If you want to hear more of that growl, then I'd recommend "clear" pickups. Pickups that emphasize certain frequencies run the risk of damping the growl or over hyping frequencies that distract from the warwick low-mid growl thing. Additionally, I think that "growly" pickups are a detriment in Warwicks. The growl of pickups just never equals the natural growl coming from the instrument to begin with. Why mess with a good thing?

MEC's are very clear as are EMG's. At least they are to my ear. If 'wicks that come MEC or EMG's aren't floating your boat then perhaps you are wanting a differing kind of growl than the warwick's natural tone?

note: MEC preamps low knob is in a funny place to my ear. For some reason it seems to smooth out the growl some despite being almost in the low mid range where the growl is. Well where the growl almost is. Seems like the bass knob gets close but misses the growl freq's. I actually use the bass boost on my Streamer LX6 primarily when soloing the neck pickup to further smooth out the tone. If you aren't getting growl when trying out 'wicks and you are trying them out with that bass boost engaged, you might want to set the ehf'er flat.

All IMO obviously.

10. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    The main problem in warwicks are the MEC preamp that has terrible frequencies selected for its pots. 100hz, 800hz, 8.5khz?? Terrible IMO.

The growl DOES come from the bass and woods. The preamp can only enhance it and let it breathe better.

I put an STC3a in mine and immediately the lion was unleashed from its cage. Immense growl and low mids. Bassists are always asking me about my setup now.