1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best pickups/strings for JB 75 modern slap sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nightvision, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Hi guys,
    I would like to have your opinion about that.
    I already have a 62 Jazz Bass with DR Lo Rider and great pickups, passive only, have a lot of growls, great mids and highs, i love that bass and the sound. It's basically the sound of a great 62/63 AV Jazz Bass.
    I just buy a beautiful American Deluxe JB 2010 (alder/maple) and would like to approch a more modern sound, think Marcus Miller, 75 type sound, modern RnB Funk Soul. I can have this sound already with the bass stock (i just shield the bass for now) but i think i can get better. I love the preamp and want to keep it, but maybe i will change the pickups.
    I think about Fender originals and Hi Beams. Don't like the 70 pickups position so don't tell me to sell the Deluxe :)
    What do you think?
    Thanks in advance

2. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

You like MM / 75 type sounds but hate 70s pickup location? That pickup location is the main ingredient for that sound.
    Both Aguilar and Nordstrand makes 70s wind pickups and they sound great. You can start there.

3. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Well, what is it about the current pickups that you don't like?

I'd spend some time getting the right strings, chances are the pickups are just fine. Hi Beams sound like a good place to start.

4. Yes i know the bridge position and the ash body are the ingredients for the 70 sound. It's just that i prefer the bridge pu in a 60 position, and on the US Deluxe it's on the 60 position.
    Aguilar and Nordy seems great but i think i will try Fender pickups for now, especially the Pure Vintage 74 instead of the Originals. I want to test the PV74 set and see if there's an improvement.

I don't have something negative to say about N3 pickups they sound great but i would like to test single coils on this bass and see if i can approch a more 70 type sound.

5. Bartolini CBJD3 pickups and a TCT preamp (either Marcus's setup or my HRTCT-5.4AP would be great choices).