Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best pickups to get

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by westendrioter29, Apr 8, 2002.

1. what are some of the best p style pickups i can buy for punk/hardcore? i am just wondering because i dont have the money for a new bass and i still like the one i have. the only prob is that the one i have has really bad pickups. thanx

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I had some Ken(t?) Armstrongs put on my p-bass and they are pretty hot as far as passive p-bass pickups go. I'd recommend them for what you are looking for. You can probably have them ordered from your local store.

For reference, I had replaced my original P-bass pickups (I have an '82) with Basslines, but I hated the tone so I went for the Armstrongs. In hindsight, I never should have replaced the originals. :(

Live & Learn, I guess.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again... The stock pickup in my '97 P-Bass is far and away the best passive P type pickup that I have ever heard :)

-robert

4. Its a matter of opinion, lots of people say Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounders. Thats what are in the Steve Harris and Mark Hoppus signatures, so if you can find one you can hear what they sound like.

5. Semyour Duncan Quarter pounder.

Just put one in a Kramer sounds awesome even though the body is plywood.

If it were possible to put "the punk sound" in a box I think this is it.

usually less then 50 dollars on ebay