Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Systemofadowner, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Systemofadowner

Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    Mass
    I was wondering if I were to customize a bass what would be the best pickups to use? Ones that allow to let the bass pickup a great sound if used on a relativly large stage. (I know a good amp is more important)

2. You are asking to general of a question and it is in the wrong forum to begin with.
    Try using the search function and read some of the past posts so you can be more specific.
    Different pickups (and by that I assume you mean different manufacturers) sound different from each other but not necessarily “better”. It depends on the sound you want what pickup you should get.
    In my opinion if your starting out set yourself a budget then look for the best equipment you can. Instead of buying a cheap bass and putting in pickups get something that sounds good stock, then upgrade when you find you need it, not “want” it. Unless of course you have gobs of cash to spend then by all means get the best. Buy me one too haha.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

All "Best" questions have the same answer -

"It Depends......"

.....on such things as, (for starters);

- your predominant style of music
    - whether doing some routing is an obstacle
    - how you attack the strings
    - your bass (woods, construction, etc.).
    - and above all --- your personal tastes

Judging from your screen name, you might like ceramic magnet Basslines or EMG's a lot

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I will let the guys down in the pickups forum deal with this one................................................