Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by S. Byrnes, Jun 1, 2002.

1. EMG

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. DiMarzio

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Seymour Duncan

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Bartolini

32 vote(s)
    44.4%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. I have the MIM Deluxe Jazz Bass 5 string, which is supposed to have the american pickups, but theyre still pretty noisy, i would like to replace them. Thanks
    -Skip

Also anyone know where i could get a Badass II for a five string?

2. Sorry, had to add Barts cause a lot of people will wonder why they were left out.

I would go with SD, but that's just personal tastes. I like 'em, but you may not.

Rock on
    Eric

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Barts all the way... just bought a set of 59J-L1's for my Hamer 5

I'l also going to get a Badass V from Here

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Which is the best car? Ford, Saab, Mercedes, Lexus...? I think you get my point.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My <b>favorite</b> pickups are Le Fay Rough Crystals.

6. I'm kinda personal to the F-350 Crew Cab.:D

Rock on
    Eric

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i have one of those and its as quiet as a church mouse. Check you're ground wire and all other wires inside the cavity to make sure they're not loose and propory soldered to where they should be. This can be one of the reasons for the noise you're hearing.

Ive never heard a noisey mim dlx yet, thats whats making me think you may have a bad connection somewhere.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Saabs obviously! :D

9. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Personally, I like Folgers Crystals myself :D ;)

10. *lusts after a 9000 Aero*

11. Bartolinis are best (!!!IMO!!!)

12. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    Just ordered some p j barts and a preamp last week. I can't wait for them to arrive

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    this one:

[​IMG]

it's available in optional flame maple too.

14. I just checked the site of a German pu maker ( Häussel ) and they have some really interesting pu's

for example the Jazzbass "BigMag":

[​IMG]

15. stefen

stefen

Jul 21, 2002
    FRANCE
    I just checked the site of a German pu maker ( Häussel ) and they have some really interesting pu's

for example the Jazzbass "BigMag":

Hey man could you give me the address of that pickup german website? It SOUNDS interesting...
    Looks like a half SeymourDuncan Bassline Humbucker (my favorite one by the way) and I think I'm going to try to set them together ;o)

Thanks if you reply!

Stefen, Paris

16. stefen

stefen

Jul 21, 2002
    FRANCE
    Thanks but I've got another question: Could you give me a quick translation of the manufacturer's comment because I do not speak a word of German :oops:(

I think this is what refers to theJazzbucker "BigMag":

"Eigenschaften wie oben beschrieben, allerdings mit grossen Magneten, dadurch noch druckvoller, der Sound liegt nahe beim MMstyle-Pickup. Bei gleicher Bauform in verschiedensten Ausführungen erhältlich, z.B. SC oder HB."

Thanks!!

17. They say that the sound changes from the normal jazz sound towards a MM-like sound and that they produce it in a single coil version as well as a split coil version. (The pickups are also available for 5 and 6 string whereas the 6-string version has an ebony cover, although I think you could special order a 4-string version of them with an ebony cover)

18. Oh, the Jazzbucker "BigMag" is like two of them in a larger casing (similar to the jazz humbuckers in the fender us p-bass deluxe), on these an ebony cover is standard.

The description I translated was the one for the Jazzbass "BigMag"