1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best pitch shifter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MoonBass13, Oct 29, 2017.

1. MoonBass13

MoonBass13

Oct 29, 2017
    Chicago
    Hey everyone,

Looking for pitch shifter recommendations. From what my research tells me, the EHX Pitch Fork might be the way to go, but I wouldn't mind hearing recommendations for what I could get my hands on for closer to $100.

All I'm really looking for is something that can add a fifth without too much trouble - I'm splitting my signal after a TC Sub N Up to mix a clean signal with my distortion, and I want to flesh the chords out a little more. As long as it can handle this, I'm gonna say it's worth it for me.

Thanks in advance!

2. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    a fifth without too much trouble? Bass Whammy. The one and the only.

3. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    Eventide H9 has an amazing pitch algorithms.

4. ThrewSilver

ThrewSilver Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2017
    The Line 6 M series has excellent pitch shifting. I've compared the M5 with an Eventide H9 and the M5 more than holds its own against the H9.

5. T-REX Quint

Can't the SubNup's 2nd down octave be tweaked in the computer toneprint algo to do a fifth up instead?
    If not, TC-Electronic needs to address that in the next update.

6. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    Interesting. I don't care for my Sub'n Up too much at all. If the algorithm is/are flexible enough?, could you also tweek both subs one and sub2 for a triad? Most likely not flexible or powerful enough without keys or guitar to feed structure/change in. Obviously not built with that intent.

Time to put on my "Mr. Science" Lab coat. :eyebrow: "Today we're going to trash this Sub 'n Up Johnny!"

7. MoonBass13

MoonBass13

Oct 29, 2017
    Chicago
    The notion of tweaking the Sub N Up via Toneprint did cross my mind, but watching a few how-to videos didn't lead me to believe it had that kind of flexibility. I'm gonna have to play around with it myself - I'll post here when I get a chance to investigate.

I love my Sub N Up, for the record. I haven't had it very long and don't use the Sub 2 knob very much but I think it sounds great.

EDIT: It absolutely does not support that kind of functionality. I would say that that makes no sense but it would kind of blow-up TC's business model if they enabled a level of customization like that. No need to buy multiple pedals when you can tweak one to do a bunch of different stuff.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Deak likes this.