Best place in my signal chain for a compressor???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    My signal consists of Bass, Compressor, Preamp, Power amp and speaker. Where is the best place for the compressor?

1. Plug the bass into the compressor first then route the signal into the pre amp and then into the power amp?

2. Run the compressor in the FX loop of the pre amp?

3. Insert the compressor ito the signal chain between the pre amp and the power amp?

I'm more inclined to go with option 3 because my Pre amp, an Alembic F1X,doesn't have a clip limiting indicator light, so with the compressor in between the Pre and the Power amp, I'll be able to keep the Power amp (a QSC 3002) from clipping.

I'll also add that I've been using it in the FX loop of the F1X. It has worked well there, but I've been told that I'm not using it right. It's overall effect is slight and subtle, but I like what it does. Your assistance is appreciated. For the record, the Compressor is an Alesis NanoComp.

Since I'm on a roll, I've actually read somwhere that there are folks that have a two channel rackmount compressor and they use it before the pre amp, meaning the bass is plugged directly into the compressor, and the other channel of the compressor is used just before the power amp. Isn't that overkill?
  2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'd also like to know, bump again...
  3. bass -> compressor -> preamp -> end amp -> speaker

or if it is a dual-channel compressor..

bass-> comp. ch1 -> preamp -> comp. ch2 -> end amp -> speaker

4. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i want to know where the compressor needs to be inputed to..but i need it in simple terms.

i have the cable coming from the compressor. Where do i input it? (these are all the holes in my amp)
    a. FX loop
    b. recieve jack
    c. send jack
    d.passive/active input input
    f. preamp out
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

This bears repeating!

My current signal path is preamp --> compressor --> parametric EQ/preamp. I get my basic tone from the first preamp (either Alembic F2B or SansAmp), and set the compressor to taste. I can then leave those settings alone! If further adjustments are necessary, I use the parametric EQ: it comes after the compressor, so I can tweak EQ or volume without having to reset the compressor.