1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best place in pedalboard for a booster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jose.romo.macie, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Hi, I want to hear your opinion about where to put a bass booster (xotic RC bass booster) in the pedalboard.

My current order is:

Phaser (Small Stone mod by anologman) - overdrive/fuzz (Woolly Mammoth, Bass Big Muff, Tentacle Love) - Octaver (Octabass) - Flanger/Chorus (Stereo Electro Mistress, CE-2B).

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Before the Bass Big Muff. The BBM sounds superwickedawesome with a boost going into it, especially on dry mode - it provides lots of extra distortionisation. Otherwise, if you just want a volume boost with no extra distortionising, stick it at the end!

3. I put the booster after the octaver, but before all dirt to make it sound like a heavy night of too many pints of guinness.

4. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    My diy rc booster is first in my chain.

5. So it's a consensus. :p

I wouldn't likely order my pedals the way you have, so I don't think my advice would be useful. With your setup, I would probably want it at the front. Hard to say though.

6. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    You must follow. :bag:

7. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Great wordage.

:D

8. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    I always heard you can run the booster thru the fx loop. But I'll give you the same advice I give everyone. If you've got the pedals..... Try out all the different options! Don't kid yourself, your pedals are toys and are meant to be played with :)

9. How would you order de pedals that I mention?

10. pokengkong

pokengkong

Apr 6, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Kingston Basses
    I'm a big pedal user also. Pedals have been critical for my tone for many years. I don't like your setup order either.

First of all, I like the booster in the front. I think it's good to give the strongest signal as early in the chain as possible.

Then, Octaver (Octabass), overdrive/fuzz (Woolly Mammoth, Bass Big Muff, Tentacle Love) Phaser (Small Stone mod by anologman), Flanger/Chorus (Stereo Electro Mistress, CE-2B).

Reason is that adding distortion to an octaver sounds cool. Adding phaser to either or both of those two pedals will also sound good. Adding a Chorus at the end of the chain can have a nice compressing feature that you may want when the distortion is too strong.

11. Octave> boost> distortions> phaser> chorus/flange.

Since you have more than one distortion / fuzz, there is some uncertainty for me about where the boost and phaser should go. Phaser can be real subtle or real obnoxious depending on if it is before or after distortion. The boost will also strongly effect the distortions, so you may want that after one distortion, but before another. I would have to sort this stuff out for a specific gig/ song. The octave and chorus/flange would definitely be the front and back of this chain, respectively.

That is just me.

12. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Since my RC is ALWAYS ON, I put it at:

BASS > Line6 wireless > tuner > compressor > RC bass booster > octave > overdrive > tremolo > chorus > delay > AMP

13. Excelent suggestions I will try theme.