Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best place in the US to live?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mattsk42, Feb 13, 2006.

1. California

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Arizona

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. New Mexico

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. Nevada

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Other - MUST state what and why in thread

40 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

EDIT: PLEASE STATE WHY AS WELL Thanks.

We're looking at jobs now. The states we've narrowed it down to are:

California
    Arizona
    New Mexico
    Nevada

In that order. Where would you pick if you're just 2 people starting out in their first jobs? I've heard CA is expensive to live in. Other than that, not much.

2. Depends where you're planning to head to in California. Details?

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd definitely put CA at the bottom of that list. The cost of living is VERY high.

4. mattsk42

Thank you for the quick reply. Mid-southern CA. Anything bigger than 1,000 people pretty much. Close to the ocean prefferable. Other than that, nothing that I can think of.

So vote for one! :D I was the one that voted on AZ, and there's 2 CA votes so far.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think the North East is a great place to live. VT, MA, RI, CT, etc... The summers are cool, and the winters are beautiful... And the real estate isn't too bad priced. The Mid Atlantic states aren't bad either.

6. mattsk42

I agree with that. We'd really like a very warm climate and something that's a lot different from here. We've been in Iowa, SD, ND, and MT. Sick of snow/winter/fall. Nice place to live, though.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    What about something like south carolina?

8. Portland, Oregon. My reasons:

Economy: Not too bad. One the rise, more people are moving here. Though that's not necesarily a good thing.

Pollution: Dropping, certainly better than southern california

Minimum Wage: One of the highest in the country

Job Opportunities: Rising. Not as fast as I would like, but rising.

Music Scene: Flourishing. Lots of night clubs and small venues.

Entertainment: Best skateboarding in the world, best snowboarding in the world, lots of theaters (movie and live) great museums, HUGE zoo, lots of access to the wide outdoors, gorgeous ocean beaches less than an hour away, same with the Columbia River gorge, Nice, small town atmosphere with the benefit of a big town hustle-and-bustle.

Gas Prices: Less than $2.00 a gallon right now!!!:D:D:D

Miscelanious: God, what have I forgotten? Oh, Tillamook cheese and ice cream is plentiful and cheap. The roads are relativley uncrowded, compared to SoCal. People are friendly. The schools (well, not the Portland City schools) are in good shape, and the colleges are excellent. No major sports teams to talk about (yeah, the blazers are NBA, but they haven't been worth my time since Clyde Drexler retired) so there aren't huge traffice jams downtown every other day. We have a couple of good large venues so we get lots of big acts through here. And the annual Mt. Hood Jazz Festival showcases some HUGE talents.

The only thing missing, IMHO, is a large-scale theme park. But I can put that to one side. Personally, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I love it here.

Rock on
    Eric

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    ****, I'm moving to portland, oregon!

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Of the states you listed, I'd say Arizona... California is just too damned expensive.

11. Look, I know our gas prices are great and all, but you don't have to move here just for that!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Gas prices haven't been under $2 a gallon here for years now.

13. mattsk42

Thanks for the good reply. I'll definitely look at Oregon. I'm a big Duck fan, too, so that helps. :D A few votes for AZ, though. Anyone from there have info?

14. I know you're pain. I was in SoCal here a few months back, and was scared to death to see $3.75 a gallon. Wave of the future and all that.

I will give you one big caveat. The weather here sucks. BIG TIME. I know, you guys in the Northeast get those huge blizzards, but all that does is shut everything down. You snuggle down all nice and warm and home, and watch it comfortabley from your recliner. Here in the NW, all we have is rain. You don't get to stay home just because it's raining. You will experiance 40 degrees, with a 10-15 mph wind, and hard rain. For days on end. There is a very valid reason why the highest suicide rates in the nation are up here. It's dreary.

But, for those four months of summer, this place becomes beautiful. June-September are gorgeous up here. We never get overly hot (100+ is a rarity, maybe once or twice every other year) so you don't have to ever worry about getting air conditioning. Average is in the 80-90 bracket. Comfortable, but enough that if you lay down on the lawn, you'll be asleep inside 5 minutes.:D

Rock on
    Eric

15. Best state to live in: Minnesota.

Reason: It where most of my stuff is.

16. mattsk42

Yeah that's why we didn't have it on the list to start out with. Big outdoor people. But thanks for the info anyway, that's what I made this post for.

Haha good reason. MN is ok, but if you read above you'll see why not. We looked at Minne/St. P area after these, but have lots of experience going there so no info is needed. :)

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Beer? :cool:

18. Honestly guys, Cali isn't THAT bad. It is expensive, but only if you're located on the ocean or in one of the larger cities(i.e. SF or LA). Otherwise, it can be quite decently priced. One of my buddies has a nice little 2 room apartment he splits with his sister and friend(he set up a little area in the living room) for about 600(split 3 ways, he pays 250 when you put in internet/water/PG&E) if I recall correctly. Pretty darn good if you ask me. I'm currently looking into a spot about an hour away from the beach with my buddy that runs about 500 a month. It all depends on where you go in Cali.

19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Money magazine picked the town where I work, Moorestown, NJ

Of course, the price of homes there, especially a newer one, can be pretty expensive. But go a town or two outside of it and you're still in a great area but the home prices are often a lot lower.

20. Florida

pros
    good music/ club scene
    surrounded by water
    relatively hot weather
    affordable

cons
    hurricanes