1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best place online to buy computer memory?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by EagleMoon, Mar 5, 2008.

1. I was thinking of upgrading the memory in my computer, and was wondering where the best place (online) to buy it would be. I bought some years ago from a place that I can't find anymore. I don't want to get something cheap that won't work. Also, does anyone know if you can mix and match sizes of memory? If I have two 256 DDR RAM (total of 512) can I put in two 512's (in addition to the 256's)if there are four slots? It has to go in pairs. Oh and this is a Dell Dimension E510.

2. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
  3. I use www.pricewatch.com

It's not a store, but a website that lists current prices on all things computer-related from a large number of online vendors.

www.newegg.com is not a bad place if you want decent service and a competitive price most of the time.

4. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    www.tigerdirect.com

but to know how many slots you have available, you'd better open the computer.

5. I have two slots available. What I was wanting to know is if I leave the 2-256's, can I put 2-512's in there, or 2-1mg sticks also.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    i use 4allmemory.com

good prices. guaranteed to work. and even scans your computer to see what you can and can't have.

7. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    http://www.crucial.com

Great site for RAM, you fill out what type of computer you have, and it lists the available options that apply to you

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You will probably be able to add the mixed RAM but some mobos can be picky about it. If the RAM is a different speed it will all default to the lowest speed. You MIGHT have problems but you won't know until you try.

bc

9. Maybe I should just get some higher RAM and try it. I suppose if it doesn't work then I can just pull them out and put the new ones in. :meh: Thanks everybody for the links. I'll check them out.

10. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Why fool with the 256's at all? Go large.

11. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    You need to know which DDR your motherboard supports (DDR or DDR2, DDR3 is out but you won't have it), as well as what speed. Finding what pin your slots are would help too, but most are 240-pin now. If your computer came with a manual, read through it, especially if it has a manual that says "Motherboard Manual", that is where it would tell you. Try also searching around online for your computer model for finding more tech specs about it, and if worst comes to worst, call Dell.

Also, www.newegg.com is by far the best place to buy computer parts. Source? I've built my own system (always a work in progress, keeping it up to date with the everchanging new technology) as well as friends computers.

12. I guess the thought was that if I had 4 slots, I could just get a pair of large RAM and still keep the other two in the slot. But I think maybe I'll just go for something like a 2 Mg pair.

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    newegg.com :D

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree that Newegg is a great source for PC parts and I've bought my share there for sure but I'd say rather than "What's the best place to buy RAM?" the better question is "Who has a good deal on RAM right now?" because there are lots of great places on the net to buy RAM and many of them run killer deals at various times.

Do you know what kind of RAM you need?

bc

15. DDR2 RAM 240 pin DIMM

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Newegg and Tiger Direct are my choices. Newegg is sometimes more expensive, but those dudes SHIP. I mean, seriously. I ordered a cooling pad for my laptop on a Monday, it showed up on Wednesday. Which is pretty good for CA to TN, on their cheapest shipping option.

I've ordered from Newegg several times, and have been supremely impressed by their shipping speed. Tiger Direct is average on ship time, but are often a bit cheaper than Newegg. I saved about $30 on an external 500gb hard drive over Newegg, fer instance.

17. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Eh, on certain things TigerDirect can be cheaper, but more times than not, newegg is the cheaper route, especially when dealing with video cards, processors, and what not.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've also saved some money through www.zipzoomfly.com. They used to have free shipping on everything. Now they just have it on some things.

In summary here are all my go-to shops aside from buying stuff from members of PC forums, which is where I've really bought a lot of my stuff:
    New Egg
    ZipZoomFly
    NCIXUS
    Clubit

All those tend to have good sales and pretty good prices to begin with.

bc

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What speed?

bc