Best place to buy a cell phone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Apr 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. slobake

slobake resident ... something

It has been an expensive month. My wife's cell phone is acting very strange after a year and a half. The bars drop randomly and she loses calls. She has done everything she can think of to get that phone fixed but nothing has improved the situation.
    Our carrier wants $700 for a new phone. It also appears that the various carriers don't offer deals on phones like they used to. Now they offer insurance for an extra $11 per month.
    Is there any way around this. Does anyone know of a source for good prices on cell phones without signing a contract with a carrier?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Motorola unlocked phones are great. They're cheap and good and she can activate it on her existing line without paying your carrier anything other than the phone bill. The carriers are selling expensive phones at full price and expecting people not to realize that by pitching it as a quick and easy monthly payment. The Moto phones are as fast and snappy and reliable as any flagship iPhone or Galaxy but without the super high end specs that your wife probably doesn't need anyway all for $200ish.

slobake likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

slobake likes this.
  4. slobake

Thanks Gorn. Where do you get one of those? Is it legal?

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Best Buy sells them. The Moto G line. There's a new version for like 250 that's great. Last year's version is also great for about 200.
    There are higher end Motorolas in the $400 range but the G phones are fine.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g-4th-generation-4g-lte-with-16gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-black/5191101.p?skuId=5191101&ved=0ahUKEwjzxrCczcfTAhUKRyYKHQ4iAF8QFghCMAA&usg=AFQjCNEVFLJiBDg-MDYnM9C4-PqxKRBHSA&sig2=5yGdS06W8YDETTHmVJagNg

How you activate the phone depends on how happy you are with your service. These particular ones work with anything but I use mine with Verizon (not prepaid).

slobake likes this.
  6. slobake

Very cool, we will check that out.

7. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    The answer is of course the TB Classifieds. :thumbsup:

slobake likes this.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My buddy just picked up a used Motorola Droid Turbo 2 from Amazon for $260.
    All legit.
    The Motorola G line @Gorn mentioned are good budget line phones.

-Mike

Gorn and slobake like this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The $700 phones have amazing displays and amazing computing power. The G line has great displays and more than good enough computing power. For me, amazing isn't worth five hundred bucks.

MattZilla and slobake like this.
  10. If you are willing to look at used phones, take a look at swappa.com. It's a pretty straightforward site and sellers usually give good descriptions of what they're selling and are quick to provide answers to questions or additional photos upon request. I've bought one phone and sold a phone and tablet with no issues.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    slobake likes this.
  12. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Check out Walmart. I got my Lumia 640 for $60. It's running Windows 10. Lots of other inexpensive phones.

As long as a phone is compatible with your provider's network you can use any phone.

Check out used phones as well, many people upgrading sell last years' models for reasonable prices.

I do recommend phones with 16gb or more of storage. Or add a 32gb sd card from the start and set up phone to store photos and such on it.

13. There are a decent number of unlocked phones to be had in the 200-400 range that are certainly capable. Look into brands like Huawei, ZTE, OnePlus, the aforementioned Motorola.

I don't know how up to date this list is, but you should be able to find something that works for you.

11 best cheap phones we love (roundup)

slobake and PortlandBass77 like this.
  14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I still have a flip phone, T Mobile and pay as i go.
    $30 for a Samsung flip phone.
    About $30 a month.

15. Ebay. If you are looking for the best price / performance ratio you can get a good condition Galaxy S5 for around $150. If you are on AT&T or T-Mobile or one of the GSM MVMOs Oneplus phones are also a redicoulously good value.

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I went through a few phones before settling on the g4 play. It's the best combination of features available for cheap. Another bonus of having what's considered an underpowered processor is very good battery life for a smart phone. It's the first I've had that can actually get through the day with pretty heavy use.

17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I couldn't be happier with Tracfone. My phone was under 50 bucks, and I pay 10 bucks a month.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  18. I'm using a 7-11 SpeakEasy. It's so old it's almost impossible to send a text message on it. But I don't text.

I just buy minutes every now and then.....like maybe once a year for 25 bucks.

No contract.

They have far better phones now...but still the same 'no contract' deal.

19. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I second going to Walmart and getting a prepaid phone. You can get a good name brand phone for under $100. I recommend Verizon.

20. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    $700? Is this phone personally blessed by the Pope, the Dalai Lama and Bono? My Motorola cost me £80 and it's more minutes and texts than I care to use and 4GB data for £15. It's expensive in the USA :(