Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best place to buy a gaming PC?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by heretic, Sep 26, 2005.

1. I want a good gaming PC that will play the newest games without a hiccup and that will last for a few years before upgrading again. I can spend a max of $2,000 (must have a payment plan!). Who offers the best bang for the buck? What hardware would you reccomend?

2. Check out...

AlienWare
    Dell (Higher end stuff)
    Journey Systems
    Polywell
    Velocity
    and Falcon Northwest

...or build one with Newegg.com

(I don't know if any of those are in your price range, I just started typing everyone I know...)

3. I've already got a card with Dell so how does this sound:

------------------------------------------

Pentium® D Processor 830 with Dual Core Technology (3.0GHz, 800FSB)

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 4 DIMMs

256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800

Sound Blaster Audigy™ 2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, IEEE 1394 capability

Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

19 inch Ultrasharp™ 1905FP Digital Flat Panel

4. I'd go with an AMD processor in it. I'd also build it from components.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Dell for sure l33t~!!!!!!!!1

But seriously, build your own. You can get like, double the computer that you would get from a company.

6. Nvidia has their 7800 out. I'm going to get one of those soon and get into gaming.

7. I don't know how to build and I would perfer to let someone else do it.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  9. Another vote for Newegg.com

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Go to a reputable local place and see what they can build you for your price.

Well, actually they probably wouldn't do a payment plan...forgot about that part. This guy around the corner from me has good prices on custom builds

brad cook

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Alienware and Falcon Northwest are overypriced, overhyped and dependent on their "l33t" status and a customer based too rich and dumb to notice they bought a $5000 computer that didn't even have windows properly configured when it arrived.

If you want real quality learn to assemble components and do it yourself. Its not that hard and winds up bing much easier in the long run as you know for sure what went into your PC.

If you have to buy OEM I'd say Dell, they are the only PC vendor I've consistently seen high quality from over almost 10 years of working on computers. Compaq, Gateway, HP, everyone else I've run into does something annoying to their machines that makes me not like working on them. Whether its using proprietary drivers that hose a normal windows install, or super gluing cables into the ports (no, not kidding), everyone but Dell does some stupid trick to make their stuff impossible for a normal geek to work on.

As for you specs, looks very nice. I'd personally go with an Athlon 64 over any Pentium and probably an ATI card over the GeForce, but those are more matters of personal preference. That system should rock.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Smart man. Have you seen the gaming PC section over at Dell? It is fairly new I believe, new to me at least. Dell is calling them XPS. You can get a laptop or a desktop. Even building one yourself, it will be hard to beat some of the deals they have. Here is a direct link: Dell XPS. The thing these "build one yourself" guys are forgetting is the warranty, and service. You go out and build your own PC, no problem. When something breaks, you need to figure out what part broke, and then call the manufacturer who will most likely try to pass it off as incorrect installation, or another component in the PC.

I'm a computer geek, and I work in the industry. I can build a PC with my eyes closed. However, I still buy Dells for my home and suggets them to my friends.

-Mike

13. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    I was thinking about upgrading my gfx card today, and getting more ram.. but then i realized that im still $1000 in debt from my hobby of playing bass.... plus i got to pay for my other hobbies like paintballing and r/c cars... I definatelly dont have the money for an upgrade yet, but maybe in the next couple of years, it will be possible.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very true, I'm the same way, quite a geek myself but I wear contacts so you can't tell. I can build, configure and set fire to one of these before you can smell it burning. I prefer to buy PC's because bad things DO happen to good people. Out of about a half dozen PC's I've purchased new, two Compaqs (never again), two Dells, and two Gateways. Dell's were great, but fried a hard drive. Replacement took a bit but was mostly painless. Gateway fried a power supply, and I took it to a retail store who chalked it up to a faulty power supply and replaced it, had it back to me in four hours.

For quality/price value, you can't go wrong with Gateway or Dell.

15. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Dell XPS or Dimension 9000 series is your best gaming bang for buck ... expect to spend over $2500 with proper cache, video cards, etc.

16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    But thats part of the fun :)

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The top of the line XPS 600 is $5000!

brad cook

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    No, we don't. Of course I wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesen't know anything about opening a case up, but usually people have at least one friend who is capable of putting stuff together.

But, what ever you decide to do, here's what I recommend: buy your computer stuff from the small local stores - usually they roughly match the prices of the cheap webstores, put the computer together for free if you buy all the stuff from them, and are there to serve you when serious problems come up.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Newegg doesnt build pcs....

If you want a custom built pc, try mwave.com...

They give you all the same custom options, at half the price of any of the name brand pc manufacturers.

20. Thanks McHack. I'm interested in this one but the website doesn't give much info... what exactly is included? Just the tower? If so, what else do I need to complete the system? Just a monitor?

Sorry for all the n00b questions :/