1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best place to buy an iMac?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Dec 5, 2006.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Can anyone tell me the best place, online or otherwise, to order an iMac? By best, I mean, good customer service, free shipping, no tax, etc. So, lay some recommendations on me.

2. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I got mine from Apple... people will tell u otherwise but they were great, shipping was safe and sturdy, free printer after rebate etc... good to get a relationship with a tech their too so u can always go directly back to them and they tend to help u out if your pleasant...

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Apple Store or Website.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    fixed pricing equals go straight to the source

5. Got mine right from Apple. Very happy with the service.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    almost forgot to mention. Congrats!! Apple's Rock!

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you know someone who is a student or otherwise in academia get the student discount. It is significant. When I bought my powerbook 4 years ago the student discount was about $300.

8. It's so true!
    My friend bought a PowerMac G5 and got a nice fat discount.

And when this PC craps out on me, I'm planning on stepping up to an iMac. Those things are pretty awesome, and perhaps I can finally try recording some stuff. Mmm, yeah, that would be nice...

(I said I'd get back to studying in that "exotic foods" thread, didn't I? I'm such a bad boy! :crying:)

9. I got mine from apple online with the student discount and it was pretty cool, waiting for it to be shipped was annoying though. Also if you live in a state where they have apple stores, you'll be hit with sales tax. Looking back I probably should've driven across town and picked one up at the store instead of ordering it, even though shipping was free, it would've been nice to have instant gratification.

10. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Except for the student discounts you can get through apple.com, MacMall.com is the best place to buy any mac stuff. Best prices, and by far the best rebate packages around.

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I just bought a refurbished 20" iMac from the Apple Store. I was thrilled with the experience. Student discount is 10%, but does not apply to refurbished products...only new.

Personally for a purchase that big, I'd only buy it from Apple. Especially for a refurbished machine. This way if anything goes wrong, I can go straight to the source...not some 3rd party.

Do NOT buy RAM from Apple though, they are a major rip-off. Buy it from crucial.com and you'll save a bunch of $.

Good luck!

12. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Ditto on crucial for RAM

13. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    also, be wary of those free ram upgrades macmall and other non-apple resellers tout. Bad memory will make a good mac feel like a nightmare.

/crashy crashy bang bang.
    //i get my RAM from mushkin. (it had the best name)

14. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    If you're looking to get a deal check out Apple's Refurbished iMacs, they have the best prices around, and come with the same warranty as new.

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - $1299

I just bought the first version (Intel Core Duo) 20" iMac for the same price.

Refurbished iMac 17-inch 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - $1,049

I recommend getting the Apple Care protection plan. Free technical support whenever you need it for 3 years. It'll pay for itself in 2 calls, without Apple Care, tech support is around $50/call.