Best place to buy CDs online now...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Anthony White, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Anthony White

Anthony White Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Where do y'all buy your CDs online now, if you do so?

I'm trying to use Amazon as little as possible. (It's certainly futile, and the company would respond better to regulation by the Competition Commission and the Labour Department, but it's what I've got.)

ECM has an online store that ships. I used CD Baby's store, and that was nice, but they retired it.

Bandcamp can work for new releases, but even for things as common as Brad Mehldau's back catalogue I can't find my way to it, if it's there at all.

There are still a couple of record shops in my town, but my jazz collection rivals theirs.

I do listen on Spotify, but if I listen to an album by a living musician more than a few times, I like to buy it so that the musicians get some real money.

2. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    Amazon has pretty much killed all their competition, sort of like WalMart. I usually buy music through the Amazon sellers in used condition unless it's something special and a new release.

MonetBass, Anthony White and Gregc57 like this.
  3. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    EBay.

Jeremy Crockett likes this.
  4. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    It’s not going to help you with jazz, but County Sales here in the US has a huge collection of trad country, bluegrass, Americana, folk.

5. zootsaxes

zootsaxes Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    We are living in the golden era of bootleg cassette tapes if you have the means. Don’t worry — your favorite artists have resigned themselves to not making any money from album sales. Buy the vinyl release if they have one, otherwise be grateful you’re not the chump trying to sell music in an over saturated market… wait…

ColdEye, Anthony White and MattZilla like this.
  6. Gregc57

Gregc57

May 28, 2021
    NY, USA
    Amazon.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For years, I used CD Universe, but then Amazon wiped them out in terms of titles in stock and price. I can order European releases not available from Amazon US from Amazon UK. When a particular artist sells off their own site, I try to buy that way...but it costs more.

It's hard to resist Amazon and streamers:

-- The last CD I bought was off an artist site. Amazon had it for $5 less and in stock for next day delivery for a month before my pre-order copy finally arrived from the artist (although I got a link for a download imemdiately).

-- I buy less than a dozen CDs a year now, instead listening to Spotify ($120 a year, less than I paid for the CDs). I used to buy about 150 CDs a year ($1500+).

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Cassettes???? :confused: FLAC, maybe.

Anthony White likes this.
  9. zootsaxes

Mar 6, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    Dude, I’m blow away by the quality of these three head Nakamichi decks. They had gotten lossless cassette technology down right before it became “obsolete”. My ZX9 can reproduce at (better than!) CD quality, but any of the Nak gear will do the job with more than satisfactory results assuming it’s in good working order. You really digest and appreciate the 60-90 min of music more when transferred to cassette, imho.

james condino, Gregc57 and 31HZ like this.
  10. Anthony White

Dec 31, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    So it's as I thought - direct from the publisher if they have an online store, BandCamp for new releases by small indies, Amazon for back catalogue, and I just have to accept that I'm paying for Bezos' penis-rocket.

nbsipics and Winoman like this.
  11. For Free Jazz and experimental music Squidco is my go to. Bandcamp is great, of course.
    Honestly, USPS is so dismal I am fine with using Amazon Prime. They have their own delivery drivers and more importantly they have accountability.
    In the US, we are forced to choose between worker's right and accountability. When I order from Amazon, I get the CD or they make it right.
    When I use USPS, I may or may not get it, more often than is OK things are severely delayed or lost. Often USPS is great - when it isn't it is really bad.
    This was an issue pre-covid that has only gotten worse.

12. My other two are discogs.com/ and of course you can get good deals on Ebay still. I generally check all the sources. As far as BC, you find out some small labels and musicians are good at getting orders out some are not. It is a great way to support musicians, but you can find yourself in weird situations with heroes and colleagues that don't send your stuff!!!

13. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    Labels that sell direct and have great customer service: Origin, Posi-Tone, Savant/High Note, Hyperion.

14. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Check out Dusty Grooves website. A great Chicago store. I have scored many cd’s and vinyl from those guys.

EDIT. Not sure if they ship to NZ though :)

Michael Karn and Phil Rowan like this.
  15. Anthony White

Dec 31, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeah, shipping to New Zealand is a weird thing. I can't see why it is any different in practice - when I was in California, I would send stuff to family in New Zealand. You go to the post office, complete a customs form, and off it goes. It's fundamentally no different from any other country in the world. I guess there must be some kind of barrier, but I don't know if it's psychological or real.

But even Amazon can be strange. If I try to order from Amazon Australia (close, relatively speaking) they constantly tell me that they don't ship to my location. But if I order from Amazon US, they will ship virtually anything to me, albeit for a price.

nbsipics likes this.
  16. gogogergie1

gogogergie1

Oct 22, 2020
    I’d recommend discogs. I lot of independent retailers sell through that site, and the selection is pretty huge.

17. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Supporting Member

Another vote for eBay here. I have a seller that I really like, all of the CDs I have received have been in good to very good condition, sometimes the inserts are moderately screwed up, but I'm not too worried about that.

I do not think I have paid north of $7 for any CD from them and they are pretty close (Georgia) to me so the merchandise comes fast.

Non-online places: Goodwill and Salvation Army can be excellent depending on the location and most thrift stores still have CDs where I live. They are priced anywhere from 3 for $1 to $2 apiece.

EDIT: Dang! I go through all of this only to see that you are in NZ. Well, eBay is still a pretty good option, in my opinion.

18. I still release tapes & I make most of my money from album sales.

zootsaxes likes this.
  19. zootsaxes

Mar 6, 2015
    Memphis, TN
    That’s rad. I’m still hoping for the cassette comeback - it’s really a great format. Everytime I get a gig where I know the set list upfront I try to make a cassette from YouTube or Spotify to practice with. Transport controls on the tape deck are way more intuitive for transcription than iPods or streaming services, imho.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021