Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best place to buy Modulus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrandMarkie, Feb 7, 2004.

1. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    I'm relatively new to Modulus, but I have been researching and looking to buy (of course NOW they raise their prices) So far i've found some Quantum 5's for around $2,300. I'm looking for one w/ Bart. pickups and the case included. Any suggestions to websites? Thanks

2. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
  3. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    basscentral was quoted at 2,600 :spit:

theperfectbass.com were listed at 2,249 (best i've found for brand new Q5) but very limited selection.

Thank you for your inputs, guys. More would be appreciated though :)

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Did you call them, or was that a price from the website? You'll get the best price by calling them, and I've always found them to be extremely price competitive

5. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Tell bass central what you got quoted from the other site, they'll match it.

I'd suggest you check out the used market as well. You could probably pick up an excellent/mint Q5 for around $1400 right now. Keep the EMG version in mind, they are really pretty similar.

BTW, nice choice in basses :)

6. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    ~spring 2000 I called EVERY Modulus dealer in the US looking for a certain model. No one had it in stock, but most of them offered to order one for me. The best deal I got, and very nice service was from Guitar Villa in PA. I think they have a site, but they allways have an a in the back of BP.

7. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    Spotlight music in Co and GGuitars in Ct had the best prices when I set out to buy my Modulus. Bass northwest might be worth a look too they usually have a few Quantums in stock.

8. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
  9. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    Call Lenny at string-it .com. Good prices and great customer service.

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Not to make anyone sick, but I saw there was a nice dual pup Q5 that went on the bay last week or so, $900 BIN

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    By the way, for the BEST price and service on a new modulus, give Gard at Bass Central a call, tell him you are a TB'er, he will most definitely hook you up.

12. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Thanks for the responses everyone. My results:

BassCental: 2,600...wouldn't budge on the price. (i'll ask about price matching next time I call)
    BassNW: They don't have what I would like in stock.
    String-it.com: Only 1 in stock.
    Basspalace: Only 1 in stock. Good price, but not what i'm looking for.
    thepefectbass.com: 3 Q5's and 1 Q4. Best prices yet (2,299 for the Q5)
    Wichitaband.com: Originally had great deals, but since the price increase, a 4-string is around 2,600 so a 5 would be more.
    Planetbass: Looks to be a good selection, going to e-mail them for prices.
    spotlightmusicstore.com: 2 in stock, i'll give them a call for pricing.
    guitar-villa.com: I can't seem to view their navigation, so i'll give them a call.
    gguitars.com: Good prices, a few in stock.

There's a few other places I checked too, but most places either had a great selection at really high prices, or just a few at decent prices. Of course those didn't tickle my fancy. I would love to look into used ones, any suggestions where to look besides ebay and the classifieds in this forum?

These basses are quite limited I assume. And I heard special ordering them would take about 8 months to receive... The search continues!

13. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    I ordered a Modulus Genesis from GGuitars the second week in August and I STILL dont have it. First the ETA was early January then when I checked in early January it was early February, well Im crawling out of my skin awaiting its arrival!
    Then again I knew up front it would be 4-6 months I just cant wait!
    I would say your best bet would be to pick one up thats already in stock somewhere or ask what they have on order, the Q5 is definetly one of the more popular models and are in stock a lot of places, the Genesis on the other hand you wont find in stock anywhere!
    Good luck

14. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA

Hmm . . . this just might be true, ha ha . . .http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115652

Definitely a little self serving, but I would avoid buying modulus new. They are often around on the used market and you don't have to worry as much about consistency between graphite necks. You can get really nice modulus basses at good prices if you go used.