Best place to buy online

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BigBear77, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BigBear77

BigBear77

Aug 30, 2017
    Hey guys just wonder where, online, you buy your wood. Thank you.

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Woodworkersource.com
    Gilmerwood.com
    Cookwoods.com
    Lmii.com (can't beat their fingerboard service)

3. BigBear77

BigBear77

Aug 30, 2017
    Thank you

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I buy all of my fingerboard wood (mostly Macassar ebony) from LMII. Body and neck wood I buy locally.

83_Silberpfeil and Beej like this.
  5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I do that whenever I can. They always have really top notch stuff, and it's really hard to beat a $9 slotting job.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Me too, LMII has been my go to for ages, their pre-slotting is perfect. It's been so long since I cut slots that I'm having to relearn the process for my WBO build... :D

7. Agreed on LMI for fretboards.

While it can take a stupid amount of time you can find good stuff on Ebay as well. There's a seller named Buzzsaw International that always has really nice tops (not cheap though).

I found a nice piece of Pau Ferro on Ebay for $45, I can get 3 boards out of it (though I have to slot myself).

8. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    This is an awesome thread/topic --- thanks for creating it @BigBear77 . I've looked at LMII before, and it does look to be the most sensible (for me at least) place to buy the fingerboard blanks. I have not bought yet, but will be in the next month or so --- and will definitely buy the fret slotting and radius-ing services!

I'am also looking for figured maple billets --- for my build. If searched and have not found many places (webshops, ebay, etc) that offer something that is 1) thick enough to resaw bookmatch into two top halves, and 2) wide enough for a a 16" wide lower-bout ES335. One of few I found was willyfield20 on ebay --- I haven't bought from them yet though.

9. I've purchased a few times from Artisan Wood To Works and have been very pleased with the wood I've received and their prices and service.

woodtoworks.com

I almost hesitate to share this because the selfish side of me wants to keep this secret all to myself. Kind of like keeping your favorite fishing spot under wraps. :D

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    LOL, they are one of my faves. We're SUPER blessed here on the west coast of BC, there are so many suppliers of domestic woods and even some far out stuff that we get it cheap, plentiful and local. :) Whenever I can't find something close, I typically order from Wood to Works, although I preferred it when they were just "Bow River Hardwoods", the new name doesn't really make sense to me?

At any rate, I've had success with them for a long time, but recently I've had three errors in a row on orders. Wrong grain orientation from what was in the photos (their bad), wrong thickness on a dimensioned board (3mm too thin, their bad), and they sent me 6 Gotoh tuners all same direction, when I ordered a 3/3 set. Funny that the only errors I've ever had from them have been my last three orders in a row. At least they owned the errors and corrected them with no charge... :)

83_Silberpfeil likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022