Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best place to buy power amps from?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspro2, Feb 23, 2003.

1. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Just wondering who has the best price on poweramps (stewart-qsc) on the web to buy:confused:

2. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    Lord Valve has great deals, forgot his email adress though

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
  4. Ditto on Life Effects. Just got mine in from them.

And guess what? They actually have business hours! Lord is open late in the day, sometimes not there....etc. Plus life effects doesn't charage for the input sensitity on QSC's, they order em that way. Just got my PLX1602 in. What a horse. Lordy be.

5. basspro2

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Hey guys went to the Life Effect site but can't find pricing or ordering info.

6. It's right on the front page. Just scroll down and you'll see

"QSC Ampilfiers"
    If your not getting the best pricing!
    YOU HAVE NOT CALLED US YET!

Call us at
    580-857-2128

I guess Lord and LE can't advertise their prices because they are below the suggested retail price.

7. basspro2

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Thanks Tuff I e-mailed them I'm looking for a plx2402 might be over-kill but I like a lot of headroom

8. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    My PLX 2402 is great - all the power I could ever want, and in a lightweight package!

I like Lord Valve; I bought my RMX 1850HD from him. I haven't tried Life Effects. (I got the PLX used.)

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    When I was shopping around for a QSC, I contacted Lord Valve and Life Effects. Both had very good prices but Life Effects was slightly cheaper.

10. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Chuck Levins Washington Music
    (301)946-8808

Their prices are always the best, I don't even bother calling anybody else anymore.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If they're not charging for the gain mod, they must be eating the cost.

12. Maybe, dunno. The way he talked, it sounded like he just ordered them from QSC in this manner. I didn't opt for it, so maybe he charges just the cost of the mod.

Still the plx1602, what a horse of an amp for a bass rig. I'm gonna A/B it against my drummer's Mackie 1400. I expect the PLX to win based on power/weight.

These PLX's have to be the midlevel sportbikes of the poweramps :D I'd say the 1602 equates to an R6 or GSXR 600 lol.

13. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    I purchased my QSC PL224 from getyourgearhere.com . I haven't checked Life Effects or Lord Valve but this company has the best prices on QSC amps that I've seen.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    We do all kinds of custom stuff that dealers can order, but we still have to charge for mods. Most such mods go for the parts prices plus $25 for labor. Ordering the amp modified is cheaper and less hassle than sending it back to the factory for the same mod.

I know from experience that the PLX 1602 makes a great amp for a bass rig; I've had mine for almost five years now. ;) :bassist:

15. basspro2

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    So Bob I see you work for qsc how is the 2402 for a bass rig w/a demeter pre amp?

16. basspro2

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Hey NeedMoreBass you were right Levins had the best price hands down

17. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Does the PLX series only run at 8ohms+? On getyourgearhere.com it only gives an 8ohm rating.

Also, are Carvin DCM series poweramps good? They look like a good deal for the money, and have some good reviews on harmonycentral.com

And a little off topic of this thread (sorry), would you recommend using an Ampeg B2R head as a preamp to a seperate poweramp?

18. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    basspro2,
    Now you can do like I did and throw all those other retailers phone #'s away. Chuck Levins Washington Music is the BEST!!

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    It'll be however good the Demeter is. Like a good reference amp, the PLX is extremely accurate and will give you whatever sonic quality you put into it, no more or less, over the entire audio spectrum. You just need a preamp that can put out a maximum level of at least about 1.5 volts RMS.

20. They were $16 higher BEFORE shipping when I just called. Plus not as willing to do business it seems. Life-effects guy is super cool, andy at chuck's seems to have an attitude that he's the only game in town.

Have you called Life effects yet?

For the record, I was just quoted $595 w/o shipping from chuck's. I got my PLX 1602from life-effects at $579 shipped. I'd expect similar ratios for other PLX's.