Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best place to buy strings online?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AndrewT, Jan 31, 2002.

1. AndrewT

AndrewT

Jun 16, 2001
    Sugar Land, TX
    Hey all, I need to buy some strings for my bass, and I don't have a car or anything to get to the music store. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Herm may still be selling strings...

There is also www.juststrings.com , iirc

a company called bpstrings (i don't know the url)

3. Link to BP Strings

I had very good results here. Pricing is very aggressive, fast delivery, good service. I will buy here again.

4. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    here ya go:

www.mostring.net (1-877-999-2392)
    www.juststrings.com (1-800-822-3953)
    www.bigcitystring.com (203-371-8117)
    www.elderly.com (1-888-473-5810)
    www.melbay.com (1-800-8MEL-BAY)
    www.legatoguitars.com
    www.kradl.com
    www.gtrs4u.com
    www.mixedcompany.com
    www.guitarcenter.com
    www.musiciansfriend.com (1-800-776-5173)
    New Age Strings 610-678-3057
    http://rfd.cc/bpstrings/
    http://pub41.ezboard.com/bthedudepit (this is a great discussion forum for bassists and he's got the TI's & Roto's cheap, too)

My best,
    Kevin

5. Steve Barr at the dudepit (see post above for link) is the best cat on the net. Service and prices are the best you will find anywhere. He has Rotosounds, Thomastiks, and a new line called D'orazio, or something like that.

6. I like the flat shipping rate at Juststrings. My guitarplaying friends and I like to go in on big orders from them.

7. I was thinking of strings other than Thomastiks and Rotosound. (GHS, D'Addario, etc) for BP Strings.

Vintage Bass Trading Co (Steve "Dude" Barr) is the #1 place to get Thoms and Rotosound. Better prices, faster shipping, and 100% customer service.

I've gotten really into Thomastik Jazz Flats, and now have an order of Thom PowerBass rounds coming for my RB5, all from the Dude.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I disagree. Juststrings.com is faster and more reliable, IME. Barr may take care of his buds but I've had zero luck in getting him to even answer emails the last few times I've inquired about strings. The two times I did buy strings from him he was slow to ship and, with CA tax, his price was actually more than Juststings.com. Obviously, YMMV.

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Just to throw another piece of information into the mix - while Musician's Friend doesn't have a large a selection as Juststrings.com, their prices on comparative stock seem to be a tad lower, and they offer a discount to ASCAP members (I believe 5-10%). I've personally had fast shipping and good service from them.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Does anyone know anything about thermastik- infield strings??? they seem to be rather nice.. and pricy

11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I just buy my strings at my local music store. The selection my not be the best, but I only use GHS on my bass and D'Addario for my les paul. They've got both down there.

Sorry if I was useless. ;)

12. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
  13. Surprised no one mentioned it sooner. I've bought all my strings from him in the past two years. Good prices made even better with a TalkBass discount. Quick shipping and very fast replies on inquiries.

14. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    While I'd love to try your strings, the website is not really easy to navigate at all for someone who doesn't speak Italian, as the translations and page structure are really hard to follow.

15. pfox14

pfox14

Dec 22, 2013
    I highly recommend them.

16. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do?

Nov 27, 2013
    Richmond va
    so we drag up a 12 year old thread??

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Also, Amazon. Many sellers also offer free shipping.
    I usually find Just Strings to be a few dollars higher than Guitar Center or Musician's Friend.

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Well this was a 12 year old thread that was resurrected by a spammer :)

But yes, www.bassstringsonline.com is the bees knees for bass strings.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    +1...

- georgestrings

20. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV
    +2