Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best place to get vintage gear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whiteout, Sep 9, 2001.

1. where is the best place to get good vitage gear for cheap? I want to get an old fender, where do you recommend going? ebay? pawn shops? sam ash?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I know that when i was looking for a vintige p-bass, ebay had some good deals. but if vintige gear is your thing, PG Guitars in Monroe Lousiana.......thats is if your ever there.....

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I would recommend ebay - everyday very interesting and occasionally rare instruments come up for auction. Some are reasonably cheap - unfortunately recently a lot of buyers from overseas have been hanging around which have pushed prices up. One good function with ebay at the MyEbay section is the ability to get ebay to email you anytime an item you are looking for comes up for auction. Useful.

With ebay, make sure you check the feedback of the seller, and email the seller prior to bidding. Do your research. I have bought and sold lots of things on ebay, and I have NEVER had a problem buying from sellers there.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    While I was browsing around www.basscentral.com today, I noticed they have a Fender '77 Fretless Precision Bass for only $799.

It appears to be in mint condition too. I'd check it out, if especially if you're a fretless kinda guy/girl. :)

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man only if you could make it to Neosho Missouri! There is a store there that is the best old fender shop! He doesnt sell new stuff at all just old guitars and basses and amps! Last time i was there he had a row of old fenders and next to them a row of old ampeg porteflex amps~! The big boys from branson go there to shop! But if you want a good deal there you must brieng cold hard cash!

6. HEY

You may want to check on www.basspalace.com since they usually have quite a nice inventory(including vintage) instruments.

I believe that Guitar Center has a vintage section also.Can`t comment on the prices they get though.

Ebay usually has some cool stuff but I have`nt purchased any big ticket items from there.

Maybe just doing a search on www.google.com of say "vintage fender bass" would yield some interesting links? Check it out!

Best of luck to you!(P-basses ROOOOCKKK!!) :D

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

8. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan

Yeah in Lansing we call it 'THE Store'. I wish I did not live so close. :D

jc

9. My only suggestion here is to make sure to do some research on Fenders before you buy. You'll be happier in the long run if you know what to look for and what to avoid.