1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best place to get work done on my bass in NYC?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SuperSnake2012, Dec 29, 2006.

1. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Dunno if this is in the right section or not, but this seemed like it. I want to get new pickups installed in my bass, but I don't want to do it myself. I want to take it somewhere to get pickups installed. I live in the Bronx and I can travel to any music store in Manhattan. Which do you find the most reliable? Also, how much would a pickup installation run me?:hyper:

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have to tell you, changing pups is extremely easy - and learning how to do so wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for you... If you're not confident of your soldering abilities, you could always change out the old pups, then have anyone with some rudimentary soldering abilities reconnect them... This really isn't rocket science, bud... I live in Syracuse - if you were in my area, I'd be glad to help you for free - know any other musicians in your area???...

- georgestrings

3. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    30th st guitars (over on the west side) has a little workshop going on in the back-- never had anything done there, but the shop always gave me good professional vibes.

If you're on the east side, there's a guitar shop on 4th st that fixed up my Fender Rhodes-- no doubt they'd be competent with a pickup.

Just two to try...

Joe

4. SuperSnake2012

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I know that changing pickups isn't hard but I've never soldered anything before and I don't want to mess up my bass :crying:

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It's up to you, but you might want to do a little more homework on what it takes to change pickups.

I could see the hesitancy with fret work, but changing pickups is really straightforward. You could practice on other stuff, courtesy of Radio Shack :) , before taking the plunge with the pickup swap.

I'm a spaz, and I can do it. ;)

6. SuperSnake2012

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Well I've talked a friend and he said he'll do it for me as long as I can come up with a soldering iron. I'll watch him to do it so I'll know what to do in the future. :)

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    That sounds like a great plan - a soldering iron can be had for under $20, and is something every musician who plays electric instruments should own - and know how to use... It really isn't difficult at all - you're probably just nervous because you've never done it... Pay attention, and you'll be just fine - and MUCH better off in the long run...

- georgestrings