1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Best place to put a HPF in signal chain

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickFromNY, Apr 13, 2018.

1. This may be a question for the effects forum, but I am adding a Broughton HPF/LPF to my bass set up. It is the only effect in my signal chain and will be on always and hidden in my rack. My question is where to best utilize it in my signal chain... post wireless and before the input of my bass amp... or in the effects loop of my bass head? Will it make much of a difference where I place it if it is the only effect in the chain? I am adding the filter to increase efficiency in my bass head and clean up the tone a bit.

2. Rickter

Rickter

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'm looking at possibly picking one of these up as well. That or the Broughton always on LPF. My plan is to put in in the signal path right after my tuner, which is my first pedal in line, assuming my wireless is not in play, at which point the tuner becomes the second. I'm planning to do this because my signal will go from the tuner to a comp, to a DI, then into my effected signal path. Seems the best way to have multiple signal paths affected by the pedal.

Have seen some say that the HPF/LPF effect only needs to be in the chain before your speaker out/DI out so that the signal range is curbed before it gets out. However, have seen some suggest placing it earlier in the signal chain so that your other effects and amplifier are not having to process information that will never make it out into the world.

two fingers likes this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    It's been my experience that the HPF works best when placed first-in-line (...after the wireless maybe?). Once you get the low-end response under control, the dynamically sensitive peripherals (compressors, filters, etc) will "play nicely together". I tie the whole thing together with a character preamp pedal (SCR-DI or BDDI) at the tail-end. The soundguy will be happy too: when he shows up with an XLR in hand, just point to your DI pedal...he'll think you're wonderful.

Riis

4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    My fdeck (from TB’er @fdeck) sits between the preamp and the power amp.

Zbysek, Al Kraft and Pat Harris like this.
  5. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I think it ultimately depends on how you want your instrument and preamp to react to each other. My go-to is to put a HPF *before* the preamp. I dial out all of the subby lows which suck headroom from the pre. In turn, I can run the preamp a bit hotter before clipping occurs because it's not trying to amplify the super low content of the signal.

6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    +1

It’s a choice. I prefer full signal into the preamp, and then cut the lows prior to the power amp. BUT, I mostly run a clean signal into the preamp and do not drive the preamp. Really all depends on details related to how the player is managing the signal chain.

Zbysek, Haroldo, Al Kraft and 2 others like this.
  7. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    From the standpoint of protecting the speakers, I think it makes sense to put the HPF immediately before the power amp section. That heads off low freq artifacts (e.g. power on/off thump) from all devices upstream.

8. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I tried my fdeck HPF-3 both after my wireless and in my effects loop, and didn't notice a discernible difference, so I put it on my little pedalboard for convenience...

Zbysek and lowplaces like this.
  9. It would seem to me...

If you need/want some buffering as in to eliminate the effects of long instrument cable, you should probably place it at the output of the bass, or the output of the wireless receiver if you use wireless.

If it goes before the wireless transmitter then you just have another box hanging off of you. You may already have a wireless transmitter and an IEM receiver. If you added an HPF you might as well invest in a Batman Utility Belt. :smug:

However if you have other pedals and such, this might not make a big difference if the other pedals do the buffering. If you put it between the pre- and power- amps, in the effects loop, this may give more consistent HPF'ing as it is not affected by other pedals that you have before the pre- and that you might switch in and out.

Jewce likes this.
  10. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    i have the Broughton HPF/LPF at the end of my signal chain because after the signal is processed through my other pedals i can adjust the final output with the hpf/lpf. the unexpected benefit i found was using the lpf to get rid of unwanted high frequency noise so the amp gets a "cleaner" signal. i think a sound guy might appreciate that.

Dudaronamous likes this.
  11. Ask Broughton if it handles line level rack fx loop signal.

Zbysek likes this.
  12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I currently have my fdeck Series 3 HPF between my pedal board and my amp (Mesa Walkabout).
    I can't say that this is the optimal placement, but it seems to work ok in that part of the signal chain.

Al Kraft, Dudaronamous and SunnBass like this.
  13. Fdecks are a little bit special in being equally at home at instrument and line level. Dunno about Broughton.

Zbysek, Al Kraft and BadExample like this.
  14. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Depends on how much you want to filter. If you put it first, just after your bass your only filter the bass. If you put it last before the amp it's going to filter everything in your chain before it (pedals and bass) If you put it in the loop it will filter your entire rig including your amps eq.

Mines in the loop of my RPM preamp.

hintz likes this.
  15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I now use a Broughton and previously used an Fdek 3. I prefer the HPF last on the pedal board. There it filters artifacts from octaves, filters, dirt, etc., and it acts as a buffer for the sometimes long run to the amp.

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

IMO it makes a big difference where it's placed depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

I have a Broughton HPF. I use it for exactly the same reason you're adding one. It's my one "always on" outboard device, and it's been placed (by itself) in the effects loop of my amp.

17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It’s an interesting question.

Some microphones and preamps have a HPF switch built in. Many amps have a HPF built into the power amp. So the position can be anywhere between A to Z.

HPF’s are used extensively in recording. They are used to carve out space. For example, everything is high passed so as to not step on the bass and kick drum. You can adjust the filter to position the bass at a higher frequency than the kick drum.

In a bass signal chain, if you are using effects, the position in the chain can matter. Pre an effect the HPF will condition the signal for the effect. Post an effect, you can fine tune what the effect is doing. Your have to experiment and see what works best.

A mic HPF is like putting a filter first in your bass signal chain.
    704B00ED-1511-4D3F-90E1-815E68ADACC4.jpeg

MarkA and Bassbeater like this.
  18. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    I use my Fdeck 3 in front of my preamp. Seems to work best for me there.

eff-clef, Al Kraft and SunnBass like this.
  19. I use my FDeck in the loop. Some pedals add bass and heft, and this cuts the super low bass that can damage my speakers. Never had any issues, and I can run my amp louder with it no longer trying to reproduce super lows at the power amp. Love it!

20. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Fx loop. Its the last thing before the power section, so the final signal from that will be your final sound.

Garret Graves likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021