best place to sell a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mebusdriver, May 18, 2002.

1. Where would be the best place to sell my bass? I've tried to do it before but didn't get any results. The quickest place it will sell is what I need to know. Thanks.
  2. well, you can try to sell your bass on this website, on the for sale section, take some pics, info, etc... and get it up on here...

or you can try , great place to sell used equipment
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  4. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    The guys over at buy and sell basses more often than they change their underwear. Good people and pretty safe internet dealing. classifieds is similar to bassgear. So like, what are you selling?
  5. Hey! That only applies to some of us!

Seriously though, feel free to post your For Sale items over there, but please read the posting guidelines (I'm the moderator of the For Sale forum there), and please join in any of the discussions. Kinda helps you to sell stuff too...cause then you get to know people, etc.
  6. thanks a lot. best reply i've gotten yet. i'm not real sure wether or not i want to sell yet. it's an ibanez btb 5. brand new. one little bitty dent. i've had it a year. haven't played any shows. it stays at my drummers house for practice. never gets moved. no electrical problems. only like two little scratches on the back from my belt. other than that it's brand new. thanks. i'll probabl need a good offer to sell though.
  7. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

Just a couple of words of advice to take as you choose.

You use the the term "brand new", but your bass is a year old with a dent and belt buckle scratches. While it might play very well and look close to new, it's hardly brand new. When/if you decide to sell, it's very important to factor this into your asking/acceptance price. A used bass sells only when the buyer feels he is getting good value for his money, and not paying anything near new, out the door price.

I think eBay is a great resource to see what the market will bear on an instrument. If the average going price is within your tolerance range, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to sell your bass for something in this range, in a relatively short amount of time, at the locations listed by the previous posters. If the average prices are unacceptable to you, I'd plan on keeping the Ibanez, and enjoying what it can do for your musical endeavors.

Best Wishes,
  8. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    alembicbones makes an excellent point. This isn't directed at you, Mebusdriver, but I really get a kick out of sellers advertising MINT instruments, other than a hardly noticable dent on the upper horn, but it's mint other than a small scratch on the headstock, but it's mint besides a couple belt marks on the back. When I see a bass advertised as MINT that I'm interested in, the first thing I ask is are there ANY blemishes on the bass? You'd be surprised what kind of answers I get, ranging from some rust on the pickups to marks on the board "because the previous owner used roundwounds". Good luck if you decide to sell your bass. BTB's are cool basses, and you should get some lookers.
  9. I've had pretty good experience buying and selling on Ebay. But as above, you should be meticulous with your description. Photos of the blemishes can be helpful when you sell on-line.

Worst way to sell: trade in at retail store.
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Sell a bass: ebay and
    Buy a bass: and ebay