Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best place to sell my cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Oct 26, 2004.

1. I've got an Ampeg 6x10 Classic and I need to sell it. Was interested in a trade but now I need money for Schroeders. Where can I sell it and what's a good asking price. It's literally in almost perfect condition. I listed here in the classifieds but no takers. Is Ebay my best choice?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    eBay works. So does bassgear.com, harmony-central.....just watch out for the scammers when you post at those spots.

what about your local newspaper, or a newspaper in a large city near you?

-Mike

3. I'd suggest a local sale just because of the size and weight. Try some of your local stores to see if they have a consignment deal.

4. How does consignment work? How much do I lose in the deal?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    consignment varies between each store.......take your cab in, and they let you know how much you will get after they sell it......the cab sits in their shop until someone buys it from them.....when they get paid, you get paid.

you won't get top dollar for it since the store needs to make some money on the deal too.....

-Mike

6. consignment:
    You bring it into the store and discuss the retail value of it, and then they put it on the show floor and sell it like their own inventory. When it sells you get 75-80% of the price they sold it for. Sometimes they'll offer to buy it outright but usually you get only half of what they would resell it for. With a consignment, you also have the option of putting a time limit on it. i.e. if it doesn't sell in 30 days you take it back.

Hope that helps. BT