1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best places to find cheap used, but very good basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PostFusion, Aug 26, 2012.

1. PostFusion

PostFusion

Aug 2, 2012
    Or "Steals" rather, where are good places to find quality, cheap used basses? I've done some searching around Guitar Center for some new, cheap basses, but wouldn't it be best to get a nice, used quality bass for the price of a new, some what cheap bass?

Or just other cool stories of your findings like this as well?
    Just post some stories about finding your own "steals"

2. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    Craigslist and ebay are generally where I go for good deals

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Depends on what you are expecting. You could get a Squier VM or SX for relatively cheap and they are good quality. But if you are expecting higher end basses for a couple of bills, then there arent any shops that offer that (an ongoing stock of high end basses that normally go for alot but they offer for peanuts). You might come across a good one here or there on CL or ebay or a pawnshop, but its few and far between.

4. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    TB Classifieds!

5. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Rightch here

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... with all due respect, you are using words that are very subjective ... quality and cheap can mean a lot of things to different people .... as mentioned, a Squier CV or VM can be both, or neither ... at $299 for a VM Jazz, $150 for one like new is one heck of a buy, and some would indeed call that a 'steal' ... on the other hand, some folks wouldn't touch that, and be looking for the $1200 American Series Jazz for down around $6-650 calling that a steal ... wheres your budget? and what do you consider quality? would help a lot to put parameters around your inquiry ... there are very good buys all around, but again, the steals are few and far between, and LOTS of people looking for them ... JMHO

7. :hyper:

8. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    TB, ebay, Craigslist..USA Peaveys are the best kept secret out there...awesome sounding US made basses that are insanely cheap on the used market

9. + yes

TB class ads is the oasis I retreat to, away from the hell that is eBay and Craigslist.

10. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Agreed, and Yamaha also gives a lot of bang for your buck on the used market.

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    MusicGoRound generally has lower prices on used gear. Whats in stock varies a lot from store to store.

12. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    my local music go round closed years ago. shame, it was my favorite music store

I remember one time seeing a fake Gibson Les Paul going for $1000 though, I pity whoever picked that one up

13. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    The best place? You think we're going to tell you that the secret password is 'swordfish'?

Knowledge is power. Learn which ones are good. Get your hands on them. Go to music stores, thrift stores, pawn shops, flea markets.
    Know how to identify and repair shoddy wiring, or broken trussrods and headstocks?

I'll beat a seller until he's crying into his wallet over a bass that's BROKEN, knowing that it's the small matter of a shorted groundwire.

It's consistency and building good relationships. I've got a small shop about 2hrs away. He doesn't have much, but he pulls in some real sleepers. I may visit him twice a year. Always make sure I buy something...a set of strings, an old pickup (we're talking $25 here). He calls me when a Traynor YBA2 or Hayman bass comes in...I get first dibs, I get it for maybe %15 over what he paid (not much). Look those up on ebay.

I'm not a dealer. I'm just a bassist who knows what a deal is.

14. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I just spaced out on a peavey Foundation I was watching on ebay...awesome basses...sold for $132!!!!

15. PostFusion

PostFusion

Aug 2, 2012
    Very interesting answers.
    I'll stop by the TB store once I get some income, and keep my eye out.

Thrift Store? I never though of those carrying instruments.

16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    just be patient, insane and very good deals come up every so often, i'm watching something right now on ebay and if you are in LA sometimes you can get a gem that a tech constructed out of spare parts dirt cheap