1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best places to hunt for rare(r) basses that aren't the 'bay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christw, Apr 21, 2010.

1. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Hey guys, I'm in the midst of an Overhaulin' inspired project for my dear old dad of an old motorcycle of his that he fell in love with but let go of over 20 years ago...

He recently had hip surgery and can't wait to ride again. His frustrations with healing and pain are really visible. I want to surprise him with his bike in fully functioning condition as soon as he is too.

To top it off, I want to gift him with a matching bass. He's always wanted to play music and never had time. After he's healed, he'll hit his 3rd official retirement and hopefully have time to do those things he always wanted (with a couple of surprises too! :ninja:)

Anyways, the point is I want a [very specific] red 1978 Yamaha BB1000 (or similar, like a BB1200) to match his red 1978 Yamaha SR500 noted in the "basses wanted" thread below, which also contains more of the story and pictures. I just don't know where else to look. Is there a meta-search to craigslist or something or should I google, google, and google some more? :rollno:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650364

26433_114233675258034_1000001420599.

2. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    http://www.Gbase.com has a terrific advanced search. I didn't see your specific year (or any 70's Yamaha basses). It's a site you should check in with from time to time, though.

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Being a motorcyclist myself, I think this is an awesome project!

Don't know the year, and it's not red:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/1666299388.html

Unfortunately, there was just a '78 BB1000 on the Boston CL, but it's already gone. Don't know the color on that.

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I saw the google link to the one in Boston. I got all excited and then went "awww."

I'm going to hold out for a red '78 because I do have a couple months 'til the bike is road-ready and road-legal.

About to check gbase though. Thanks guys! :D

5. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    I use http://www.craiglook.com when I want troll the CL ads throughout the country. it can be a bit finicky though, and images sometimes have trouble loading.

6. PortugalWillie

PortugalWillie

Jul 17, 2009
    If you're interested, I'm from KC (actually 3 hours NE); that guy has been trying to get rid of that gear for a long time now. Like months . . . if you were to paypal me the money plus a few dollars for shipping, I can pick it up for you.

Also, a handy google functions. If you type in "site:craigslist.org 1978 Yamaha BB1000" minus the quotations obviously, it will only search craigslist for whatever you typed in. It searches all over the country. It at least will give you a general idea of the asking price.

7. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    That's by far one of the coolest offers I've got on TB. Thank you for that. :D

However, I'm going to wait it out for red... I have time for now. Maybe some TB'er has one hiding in their closet. A man can hope, right? :smug:

Thanks again for all the search methods guys!

8. PortugalWillie

PortugalWillie

Jul 17, 2009
    No problemo!

I'm in KC a lot. I'm sure that bass will be there awhile, so if you ever decide to change your mind PM me!

9. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    I think the boston one was yellow. I believe it is on ebay now.

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    Dang.

I spoke to Yamaha customer service earlier. The guy said something about the BB1000S being the red one, which was a 1982-1984 run. Hope they made red before that or I might have to revise my wants. :(

11. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
  12. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    That would be heresy! ;) It's no collector's item, but it is all original, and I want to give it back to my dad just like it looked and ran 20 years ago! That might be out of Overhaulin's style, but I'd like to keep it stock with necessary updates. (Plus a bass refin is much cheaper than a motorcycle repaint! :D)

Thanks for the link!

13. wow, the craiglook.com is great. I will never be on Craigslist.com again! thanks for that.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's one particular dealer you should ask: www.diamondstrings.com/inventor.htm#Basses . He's on gbase, so you'll find a lot of his inventory there, but not all of it--and somehow he finds some of the rarest and coolest non-Fender vintage basses out there.

15. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    another thing I've done is to check with invidividual dealer's websites. a lot of them won't come up when you google for something. places to check:

www.daddys.com (daddy's junky music, a new england chain store)
    www.guitarcenter.com (they have a used section, lots of good stuff to be had)
    www.musicgoround.com ('nother chain store)

and then all the random bass stores that have used sections:
    www.elderly.com (random store with a decent selection)
    www.bassemporium.com
    www.basscentral.com
    www.bassnw.com
    www.bassexchange.com
    www.buffalobrosguitars.com
    www.thelowend.net

and also, yes, gbase is pretty great, though its not always updated very well.

16. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    GC's used section didn't even cross my mind, nor did half the sites listed so far.

Thanks a ton everyone. I've come across a couple of basses through these sites and emailed them for more info! :D

17. I wish you luck on your search.

18. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Then get a bass refin! ;) I'm sure many paint shops will colour-match for you.

19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I certainly hope he's fully recovered from hip surgery, as that SR500 is kick-start only.