1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best pocket recorder for live enviroment

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Timboech, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Timboech

Timboech

Sep 4, 2008
    Vienna
    Hi guys,

I use an Olympus LS-11 which has a much better dynamic range and clarity than my old Zoom H2. The zoom sounded flatter with more midrange boost, the LS 11 is much better overal but...even when cutting the bass (preset) it souns quiet boomy...

What would you use to record your gig (and get a nice bass sound) when having someone in the audience?

*) Do you also think that some camcorders get an overall better live sound than 400$ tools made for music? :bag:

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I don't know how the new Zoom handheld recorders compare with the older ones, but I've gotten good results with my H4N. Almost invariably, I run my recordings through EQ and compressor VSTs in Wave Lab or Cubase after the fact to trim any overwhelming issues, but I've been happy with the results I'm getting from the unit.

Keep in mind that the room you're in is going to have a HUGE effect on the sound you're getting.

3. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Still use my H2. Audio communism....I dont have any other baseline for comparison as it does what I need it for gig level replication. I'd like to AB the H2 specs to the Olympus (unless you already have). 3 years now. If I ran out and bought the "latest" every time, I'd be broke and confused.

4. Daniel J

Daniel J

Oct 25, 2007
    Maryland
    I've had good results from the Zoom H4n in many different situations. It's a decent unit considering its price. Its also 4 channels (stereo on board mics = 2 channels, and 2 inputs of either XLR or 1/4") which can give you a number of options.

If the gigs you play have FOH support I would suggest setting up the H4n on a mic stand near the FOH mixer and record in 4 channel mode, taking a 2 channel stereo mix feed from FOH and aiming it at the stage or speaker stack for the onboard mics.

Definitely use the wall adapter though if you record 4 channel because it eats the living daylights out of batteries in 4 channel mode.

Of course this is if you decide to buy the H4n and if you have FOH support.

Perhaps this is of no help at all :meh:

Cheers :smug:

5. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Follow-up - a quick spec read between the 2 says the H2 wins over LS-11 for Bass dynamic range. The Olympus in WAV/MP3 only goes down to 50hz. Low B is something in the high 30 hz IIRC. In addition the H2 in 4 channel surround (4 mics vs. 2) will pickup backfed sound waves. My use of any device like this is to hear what the audience hears, I tame my expectations of Bass response in the recording due to this target.

I doubt in reality the Olympus wouldnt pickup the hz below 50, probably just a rough guide not a benchmark.

As usual I could be way off about this tech stuff. YMMV.

6. Daniel J

Daniel J

Oct 25, 2007
    Maryland
    Well since you have the LS11 and didn't indicate wanting to purchase anything new...

IMO you should play around recording your band practices. I know it will sound different from a gig or stage environment, but it will help you get a better placement of the recorder for the balance of bass and rest of band that you're looking for.

If you can pad the input mics on the LS11, do so and keep it closer to the band to eliminate more of the room reflections. You may have to put a baffle of sorts between the recorder and drummer to not have the cymbals taking over the recording.

Any recording requires a certain amount of experimentation until you reach your desired result. To get there faster, have one of your bandmates play your bass for a tune while you walk around with the recorder and headphones on to get a placement.

Cheers! ;)

7. I'm having good results from a tascam DR-07 I just got. Great recording quality off the board, no problem with low b. Live, not so bad, been pleasantly surprised with the onboard mics. I've had some cases of distortion, not sure if I was too close/too loud, or just didn't have the gain set properly. I'm sure those onboard mics can be coaxed to overload, not just the preamp.

Randy

8. I don't have any personal experience with the Tascam recorders however i just read sound on sound magazines reviews of the new Tascam DR-08 and it seems like a sure bet. I for one have always trusted sound on sound magazine, they've never lead me astray.

here's the review...hope it helps.
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug10/articles/tascam-dr08.htm

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021