1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best polish

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by john b carvalho, Dec 7, 2001.

1. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Don't know if this subject has been posted before,but I was wondering what some of you are using to maintain the finish on your basses.Types of polish and so forth.I use a woodwind oil for my fingerboards and on my tung oil finished bass

Aloha:D

2. I use a tiny bit of Lemon Oil every now and again on my tung oiled bass, mainly for the fingerboard.

I use Martin guitar polish for my hard finish, it works pretty well

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Ive tried a lot of different ones and I like the Gibson polish the best in the orange & white bottle, and I always use Lemon oil on a rosewood fretboard. I hope this helps
    The Dunlop stuff is ok also.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Martin Guitar polish is the best. It has the horse on the bottle, I believe.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The Dunlop stuff works well on a hard finish. So does Windex.

6. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Thanks guys,I have been using the Martin polish for quite a few years,but I was told that they recently changed the formula,don't know the truth behind the claim.but it came to me by a reputable guitar tech. .I bought this product made by Pro Shine that I am not to keen on.He also recommend that I use the woodwind oil as a conditioner (clarinets,oboe's,basson's which I think are made out of ebony) in place of the lemon oil which is more so a cleaner and tends to dry the wood.Since there was few recommendations for the Dunlop polish I think I will give it a try.

7. I don`t have any exotic/fine wood basses but....

I`ve been using the ghs Guitar Gloss and am really happy with the results.Works like waxing a car,rub it on,then wipe it clean.

"Wax on,wax off Daniel-san." :rolleyes: