Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best portable cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mclaud, Oct 27, 2002.

best portable cabinet

Poll closed Nov 1, 2002.
  1. SWR Goliath Jr III - 350w, 105db, 45Hz-15KHz

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Aguilar GS210 - 350w, 102db, 42Hz-16KHz

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Epifani T210 - 400w, 102db, 40Hz-16Khz

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Bag End D10BX-D - 400w, 100db, 40Hz-20Khz

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Eden D-210XLT - 350w, 104db, 48Hz-14Khz

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    Hi! i'm just looking for a new cabinet in a portable size, so i'm looking for a 2x10 cabinet that can be enough lound and with a decent low end for a small club. So vote please or suggest other one. tanks

2. I've tried a few of those, and I have the eden. It doesn't sound as cool by itself, but in a mix it's rad. I can actually fit a 210xlt, 115xlt, wt400 in 4 space skb, 2 basses, and one of those warwick multiple guitar stands all in a VW cabriolet. i have to take the top off to put the stuff in and take it out, but it all fits (verrrrry tightly).

3. IMO, none of the above...

Do two 1x12s. They're more portable, push more air, and sound better to boot. My pref is Aguilar, followed closely by Bergantino, Epifani, and AE.

...or you can trash my reply, get a 2x10, lug the extra weight around, and get by with limited sound. It's your choise! :D

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Tech Soundsystems ND 210 XT:

2x10"+Tweeter, 700Watt/4Ohm, 102dB, 40-20.000Hz, 18kg

Tech Soundsystems ND 210 XT:

2x12"+Tweeter, 700Watt/4Ohm, 102dB, 35-20.000Hz, 19,5kg

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'm with Jon R. I recently ditched my SWR gear for a couple of Aguilar 1x12s. Together, they sound deeper, clearer, and louder than my previous 4x10 (90 lbs) + 2x10 (55lbs). They weigh about 40lbs each and are so much easier to get around , I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Seriously look into 1x12s. Most manufacturers make them now so which one is your choice! Just my two cents.

6. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    Tanks for your replys.. Do you know other manufactures of 1x12 cabinets?

7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Dont' forget Euphonic Audio. They're really different, with a transmission line design that puts out real fundamentals. I am super happy with my CXL-110's.
    Laurence

8. Seconds on the EA comments. Love the CXL-112. Haven't played the 110, so I can't comment on that.

Geoff

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Well,

i've picked up nearly every 2x10 cab in existence, and my Acme 2x10 is the lightest i've tried, bar none, at only 50 lbs. the others you mentioned are in the 60-75 lbs. range. its also full range, so more than covers the bases (pun very intended... :D)

but Epifani has recently came out with a new "Ultralight" series in a 1x10, 2x10, 3x10, and 4x10. the speakers are the lighter Neodynium which are 5 lbs. vs. the usual 12-14 lbs. of the regular drivers. so a 2x10 goes from 59 to 47 lbs., while a larger 4x10 goes from 97 to 74 lbs.!

tonally, Brett at the shop, says they're a bit more middy'ish, but we all could use s'more, no?

10. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Virtually every maker has some type of 1x12. They're available from Avatar, Genz Benz, Eden, Aguilar, Bergantino, Epifani, Euponinic Audio and more. Bass Player mag did a good reveiw of 12s a few months ago and there has been much heated discussion about their opions and TBer's opinions in these forums. A search should provide you a lot of info. I personally chose the Aguilars because they sounded the best to my ears. I actually liked them more than several of the ones I tried that were more $. Just my opinion.

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    How about the Ampeg Portabass? I don't know if these are widely available yet, but a 2X10" that's less than 30 lbs. is an impressive feat of engineering.

12. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    eh, the 210 is impressive only in the fact that it weighs in under 30 pounds. i a/b'd it with the portabass 12, and while the 12 was slightly quieter with the same amp and bass settings, it went deeper, and and sounded much smoother. the 210 was pretty harsh, and very boxy. check out the bag end if youre sold on 210s. i own one myself, and for 10s, ive found a manufacturer im going to stick with.

13. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    The specs for the Epifani on the poll are incorrect. The top end goes to 20khz - it's apparent when you hear it too.

I've been gigging w/ one (the older horizontal model.) for the past four years - literally hundereds of gigs. As far as sound, versatility, and portability it's my favorite cab. I've also owned the Eden and SWR GJr. II

I played w/ a single 12 this past Fri and Sat and I have to admit that unlike the rest of the bassplaying world I'm not a total convert yet. I have yet to play through a pair, though. The tens seem punchier w/ nice mid definition. As far as bass frequencies, more often than not I'm cutting them a bit on my EQ to reduce 'bass boom'.

All of those cabs listed are kickin'. I don't think that you'd be disapointed w/ any of them, they're all quality.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you're talking "best and "portable", then you can't leave out Euphonic Audio - my VL208 beats any 2 X 10s I've tried, on these criteria!

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    compared to the others you listed, i wasnt happy at all with the 1x12 and 2x10 i tried. the Portabass head was also a little on the hissy side compared to an Eden Wt400 i a/b'ed it against.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really? the 208 i tried at Make 'n Music in Chicago didnt quite have enough low end with an Aguilar DB359 i tried it with. light as a feather tho, and pretty darn cool with the NS electric upright they had.

but it paled next to a VL210 they had. holy crap, that thing nearly punched a hole in the soundroom. too bad it weighed as much as a samll car. :D

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - the question was about "portable" and the VL208 scores highly on this. I get plenty of bottom end with my NS EUB - when I play a low D on the B string, my whole flat shakes!!

I don't know anything about Aguilar amps - I use my VL208 with an Eden WT300 and there is huge amounts of bottom end and great clarity of sound.

Besides - you could always have two VL208s or match it with a 110 - both cabs being very portable.

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'll second the Vl210. Saturday night I used two Vl210's and my new PLX 1602. Holy crap is right. Really deep, tight lows. Mids that cut through and clear sparkling highs. True they're pretty heavy for a 210 but 62 lbs isn't that bad.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh dont get me wrong,

the VL208 is capable of lots of dialed in low end, but with the same EQ settings on the Aguilar, there was a noticible amount of natural low end that was missing, unlike the VL210.

i could dial in more than enough low end with the 208, and it made the NS seem very full and juicy. its just that compared to its bigger bro, the VL210, it wasnt nearly as chest poundingly punchie and focused.

20. Hey Joker
    Next time your in the Windy City let us locals know.
    I frequent Make N Music, especially since my wife works about 5 miles from there. Although she is changing jobs and will soon be in the burbs, I still like their shop, but the test rooms are small and have thin walls. Great bunch of guys. Greg takes care of many of the big names that come to Chitown. Yak Yak Yak....