1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Portable Combo Bass Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zeds, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Zeds

Zeds

Oct 4, 2010
    Orlando
    What is the best portable combo amplifier out in the market today? considering portability, power and price.

2. Whatever you get.. make sure it has a kickback cabinet and useable DI.

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Mesa WalkAbout, or maybe some of the GK MB series, and MarkBass stuff.

4. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    That question is bigger than the meaning of life! Tell us as much as you can about what, why, when and how you intend to use it.

5. Zeds

Zeds

Oct 4, 2010
    Orlando
    I have used GK's MB115, it lacked punch and shape, I also have used MB's CMD 121P and I like it, the sound cut through two loud guitars. Just want to have an idea on a good portable amp. Mesa boogie's walkabout is beyond my budget. I've heared about Ampegs good reputation but why cant they make their amps lighter? I've tried their Micro VR, there's just not enough power in it.

6. Roland Dbass 210 - seriously, go and try one, less than 60 pounds, tone like you've never heard. Admittedly, Roland isn't really known for their stellar amps ( except maybe the JC series for guitar) but they have really hit the mark with this one.

Regards

7. This will be uncharacteristically un-Peavey of me, but one of the sweetest combos I've ever played through is the SWR Redhead. Granted, they're usually in the neighborhood of $1,500, but it's the be all end all of combo's for me.

8. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I was just going to suggest the D-Bass 115.
    Simply an amazing amp.

Don't you just love the superflat setting? :)
    I wonder why they are not that popular (in general and around TB).

edit: BTW, did Roland discontinue the D-Bass amplifiers? I can't find them anymore on Europa's most well known online store.

9. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Zeds, I was in GC the other day (yeah...I know, but I was bored) and I plugged into an Acoustic B200 combo amp using an American made Jazz bass that I grabbed off of the wall. The amp puts out its full 200 watts RMS into the 4-ohm 15" speaker.

The verdict? Holy smokes!! That amp ROCKED! And what great tones! My mouth actually fell open at how good it sounded (and I'm not one of those "easily impressed" types).

Cost is $329 on GC's website right now. The amp weighs 67 pounds (shipping weight is 75) so this is not one of those "throw over your shoulder" amps. But what a great sounding bass combo amp! I also tried a couple of Markbass combos, and to be honest, I wasn't really impressed with the sound of those, although they were certainly easier to schlep. I was able to get better tones from the Acoustic B200. I think it might have something to do with the amp topology (old style class AB versus the lightweight digital stuff).

IMO of course!!!

10. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I would also agree the SWR Redhead is an awesome combo. It sounds great. But also almost 100 lbs.

My current favorite is my Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T. It's 18 lbs, small and surprisingly loud!

11. Haha...sorry I should have mentioned the Redhead was a baggillion pounds, but I play nothing but Peavey combos and cabs (because I can't afford a gym membership), I'm used to it.

12. Any thoughts on the Genz Benz 3.0-10T with a Ric 4003?

I just returned a new G-K MB212 to MF due to a hum problem. I am second guessing my choice, and the 3.0-10T looks like it may fill the bill for a small, quality practice amp (my gigging days are long past).

Brian

13. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Nothing in particular on the Ric. My two main basses are a MIA P-bass and a Stingray. One passive, one active of course. They both sound fantastic.

14. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Find an Ampeg B100R.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    All great amps suggested here, but the op said "best", so it's gotta be a Walkabout scout 12.

16. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    Price was one of the main concerns right? I have an SWR Workingpro 12. I A/Bed it at the store with many of the Ampegs and Fenders and the little SWR has punch! It was also only $550 with a 5 year warranty and was better than all the amps I compared it with. I've played Ampeg, Hartke, and Fender combos and this cab is tighter, louder, and just sounds nice to my ears. I don't know how it compares to the Mesa Walkabout but the Mesa was outta my price range. I recommend checking it out.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

Are there any non-portable combos? Oh, right, they are almost all ridiculously unwieldy to schlepp and/or load. With the "Friends don't let friends buy combos" mantra firmly in mind, I suppose this one could be considered at least loud and great sounding, if not affordable. Two out of three?

Mesa Boogie Carbine M6 212: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/carbine/CARBINECombo-enlarged.htm

18. I love my Phil Jones suitcase. It is small, pretty loud, and perfectly transparent. It also has a great di.

19. MarkBass. I played through the 2x10 combo at my church and it sounds amazing. I have a GK MB115, which also sounds fantastic and is a bit cheaper. I'd recommend the MarkBass if you have the scratch, GK if you don't.

20. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Markbass CMD 121P. 32 lbs, crazy loud and great tone (more "warm" and "vintage" than most digital rigs), and if you add an 8 ohm extension cab you can blow the windows out of most clubs. 90% of the time I just play the combo by itself. I rarely get the volume up beyond 30% of its potential and have no problem keeping pace with two guitarists (1 electric 1 acoustic) and a Zendrummer. In 30+ years of bass playing it's my favorite amp ever. And yeah, I've had 'em all.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021