Best post-beginner book?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I'm not sure if this goes here or not, but what is a good post-beginner book? I say post-beginner because I have the basics of playing down, I just want to start into music theory and stuff. I want a book with alot of cool practice methods, scales.. and stuff.. Ack, I'm retarded ;p

Any ideas?
  2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Go to your music store and check out "Serious Electric Bass" by Joel di Bartolo. Sounds like what you may be looking for.
  3. Building Walking Bass Lines, by Ed Friedland. I'm not saying it's the best, but it's worthwhile for post beginners/intermediate.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mark Levine's Jazz Theory.
    Not exactly for bass, per se...definitely for musicians, though.

Bass books for the post-beginnier?
    I like Jamerson's Standing In The Shadows Of Motown
    Goines/Ammeen's Funkifying The Clave For bass & Drums.

No scales; cool practice methods...and stuff.
  5. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    How about "The Improvisors Bass Book" by Chuck Sher.

Covers just about everything, it's even got some Jaco transcripts at the back.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Any of Ed Friedland's book/CD sets would be helpful. Also any of Gary Willis' book/CD sets would advance your playing.

I'd also suggest book/CD sets from Jamey Aebersold. Go to his web site and order a catolog from there. I just received the newest one. It has several excellent materials for bass. Many of the materials will help you even if you never have a desire to play jazz.

Another place to search for helpful bass books beyond the beginner level is:
  7. I'm diggin "The Complete Electric Bass Player Volume 1: The Method" by Chuck Rainey. Its got some useless stuff to post-beginners, but the rest of the book is solid.
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Here's a few I like

- Iwanna T. Chur, "10 Steps to Finding a Teacher."

- Les Son's, "The Beauty of One-on-One Instruction"

- The Teacher Coalition Network's, "How a Teacher Can Help You."
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

Chord Studies For Electric Bass by Rich Appleman and Joseph Viola HL50449750

This one is really cool, I just got it but it looks REALLY good:
    Concepts for Bass Soloing
    by Chuck Sher & Marc Johnson

10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

ahhhh how ive missed reading your witty banter JB.

as jazzbo here said, a teacher is the best route, but since you asked for good books, any by ed friedland are worth the purchase. I have the buildin walking basslines one and its not too bad and will help you out. another decent book i have that id recomend is funk fusion bass, by jon liebman. it covers the basics and them some. I thought I had some of these basics down untill I got his book, then I was like dang, i cant do that as well as i thought, so I recomend this book as well. it challenges what you know/think you know and teaches you other stuff as well