Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Power Amp to buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by QUSP, Sep 5, 2002.

1. QUSP

QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    Im about to purchase the Eden Navigator Preamp and im curious to know which power amp will go best with it. I've heard a few negative things about the WP-1000 and I wanna make sure I buy the best power amp available. Anyone who has the Navigator and uses the Eden power amp or any other power amp you suggestions are strongly needed.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The best sounding power SS power amp I tried was a Stewart World. Super tranparent, beautiful articulation, and superb transient response. This is pretty high praise since I compared it to a SWR Powerbase 750, a Crown K-2, a QSC PLX1602, and a Mackie 1400i. A friend, who is a pro audio engineer, is very partial to Crest. I would have loved to check them out but the power requirements are not your typical 20 amp circuit for most of their amps. (Pro series). He only deals with industrial circuits so that isn't an issue for him.

I ended up with an all tube Aguilar DB 728. I just love the sound of tube.

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Not too many people talk about Carver amps but I'm a longtime fan of them, in fact I'm going to order the PM-1400 in a couple of weeks.

Bob Carver designed some great power amps and although he no longer owns the company (he sold it to Phoenix Gold some years back), the PM series is one of his designs and is still in production (it's great for bass amps too).

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I was going to get the PM950 but then everybody started talking about how it's good to have more power/headroom, so I decided to go whole hog and get the PM1400. I use both channels separately with an 8 ohm Aguilar GS210 on each channel, so I'll be delivering 475W into each cab...not near as much as your cab's getting but not too shabby!

Carver doesn't recommend bridging into 4 ohms with their amps but I honestly wouldn't consider bridging into 4 ohms with any amp, whether the manufacturer said you could or not (it's just too hard on it).

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    QSC 2402......lightweight and lots of power!