Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Heckxx, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    So what do u all suggest for good dependable, powerful power amps? I'm eventually buying myself the Ampeg SVP-CL, and I was thinking of getting the Mackie 1400i power amp. How do those QSC amps (or any other good ones) compare to the Mackie? I'm looking for amps around that 1400i price range, 600 bucks or so.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am a fan of the power amps made by Crown. They have a very inexpensive entry level series that are nice. But, I'd pay the extra for the next series up from that.

-Mike

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I also have a lot of respect for Crown amps, I've seen used Crown Micro Tech series amps in great shape sell on Ebay for what you're willing to spend. IMO Crown's Macro Tech series are one of the best amps available, but as MJ5150 stated, they aren't cheap. They're not lightweight either, but they have tons of headroom. Check out Crown's website, they make several different series at different price ranges.

I don't have any experience with Mackie's amps, but besides Crown I'd highly recommend Crest. I recently bought a Crest CA9 power amp. So far, so good. It's on the heavy side, but it really packs a punch. Crest also has several different series to choose from.

-Art

4. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    Carvin DCM 1500 is in that range for $399. They are great.

5. I would say that you would be safe getting a Crown.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Look for a used QSC PLX series, very light, super reliable, great for bass. I picked up a 3002 used on Ebay for about $600, and its been great.

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I am a Crown fan as well. I have used PowerBase 2's and 3's in my rig for years without a hitch. I have a couple of Mackie 1400i's in my backup rig, no complaints there either.

Mike

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I second that Carvin DCM1500. The re-designed them and they're lighter and 2U now. I love mine and it's powerful as hell. It has Speakon connectors and I just feel the difference when I changed from heads to preamp = powewramp. Any amp you buy, you'll love the difference those extra watts make.

I hope this helped...

9. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I'll second the QSC amps. I started with an rmx1450, and moved into a plx1602 to gain a few watts, and shave 20 lbs out of my rack. The plx is a great amp without spending a ton while keeping weight down. The dip switches for settings and flexability of outputs makes it a winner.

Troll

10. Now those who mentioned QSC had good suggestions. QSC gives you lots of watts at good prices.

11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have had a couple QSC PLX amps and really liked them. I currently use a 1202.

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I used to use the Mackie 1400i, now it runs my PA subs. Ultra-reliable, plenty of power, heavy.

13. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I've also got the Mackie - but for bass, I prefer the Crest CA-9 - which you can easily snag (used) within your price range.

+1 Crest CA9

14. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Anyone use QSC's RMX line?

15. I think the QSC RMX 850 and RMX 1450 are great poweramps for not a huge amount of cash. if you think you are going to need more power then the 1450 offers I would suggest one of the PLX models because if you want to spend that much then you might as well get something lighter.

I'd recomend a RMX 1450, I think it is worth the extra hundred bucks for the headroom and extra wattage you get.

16. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I just bought a 2450, that's why I was asking :)

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Sounds like there are plenty of good choices out there. I have the same pre amp (SVTCL) and just bought a Yamaha P2500S to power it with. ($400) 400 watts per channel at 4 ohms. worked great with my 2 Goliath II Jrs. at the gig last night. This is supposed to be my small rig and my soundman still thought I was too loud. :meh: What cabs will you be using with this setup and what kind of music do you play? I think just about any amp suggested here will get the job done. Bob from QSC comes in here often and answers questions, so if you go with QSC that's an added bonus.

18. In 19 years of 'shade tree' performing and pro audio, it's hard to go wrong with Crown, Crest, QSC, or Yamaha power (I'm sure there are other good amps out there, such as Claire Bros. Carvers, etc.)

Power amps that have served me and my band well, over the years:

QSC
    PLX 3002
    PLX 1602
    MX 1500
    MX 2000
    RMX 1850HD

Crest
    CA 12

Crown
    PowerBase 1
    PowerTech 2
    MicroTech 1200

Yamaha
    P2000 ?? (back in 1987 or so, had mechanical VU meters, weighed a ton, and 100 wpc :D )

Carver
    PM 1.5t

-b

19. BassKat

BassKat

Nov 23, 2004
    Never settle for mediocre. Go all the way to the top when you want something. When I joined the rock band I'm in now... I didn't settle for anything less than the Ampeg SVT Classic. It could be said for bass guitars too... don't settle for the cheap ones that will warp in a month or do not give you the exact sound you want... go to the best so you never have to worry about replacing it. It'll save time, engery, and money in the end.

20. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'm using a SoundTech PS-802 in my 2-space rackbag, and it ROCKS! I have yet to put it past 5 on the gain. I run a BMax to it, and the sucker is LIGHT. My whole rack is 25 lbs, and it puts out up to 800 watts at 4 Ohms, 400 a side. I got mine used on the Bay for about $250. They had an older model, the PS-800, also single space, but I heard they fixed a heat issue on them with a different fan, so I went for the 802. A buddy of mine has the exact same rig as me- BMax, PS-802, Avatar 212, and he loves it!