1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best power metal bassist?!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ROON, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Power metal bassists are very underrated IMO, just because sometimes you can't hear them, doesn't mean they aren't good. :) So, what say you TB, who is the greatest power metal bassist of all time?

My vote goes to Luís Mariutti (Angra/Shaaman)

HUGE beefy tone, and technical playing. The only reason he doesn't take 1st place is because I haven't heard much Dionysus.

Honorable mentions also to;

James MacDonough (Iced Earth)
    Anyone who can play that fast and precise gets my upmost respect.

Tobias Sammet (Edguy)
    Played bass as well as singing for Edguy from their formation up until '98 when he decided the instrument deserved someone who could concentrate on it 100%. He has some wicked solos on the older albums, and I also admire him for respecting the roll of a bass player in power metal music.

Tobias Exxel (Edguy)

Replacement for the other Tobias (singer), got some good lines. I like the fretless at the start of the song "The Pharaoh".

2. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Steve Harris - Iron Maiden

Roberto Potenti - Skylark

Joey DeMaio - Manowar

Adrian Lambert - formerly of Dragonfarce

Steve Digiorgio - Control Denied

3. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    1 Cliff Burton - 2 Steve Harris - 3 Fieldy

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow I can't believe I forgot Harris! :meh:

Neither Metallica or KoRn are power metal.

SunnBass likes this.
  5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Rex Brown!!! :bassist:

And the guy that played fretless with Death, Steve "something" :confused:

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Harris. /thread. :D

Plenty of great powermetal bassists, but the originator is still king.

SunnBass likes this.
  7. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Iron Maiden's music isn't considered "power metal" though.

SunnBass likes this.
  8. Montsegour

Montsegour

Apr 1, 2008
    Sarajevo
    Maiden is not Power Metal
    Death is not Power Metal
    Pantera is not Power Metal
    Iced Earth is not Power Metal
    It's Steve Digorgio, and yes, he is not Power Metal.

SunnBass likes this.
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    oh great, this looks like its gonna turn into a pissing competition.
    :meh:

10. I don't listen to alot of power metal, but I dig Joe Dibiase and Joey Vera's work with Fates Warning. They're more prog metal but at least their 80s work has much in common with power metal.

11. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Maiden are widley considerd to be the originators of Powermetal, its not exactly what modern powermetal is now, but its where it came from.

12. Metallica isn't considered power metal but in their early days they were hyped as playing "power metal". Just like how bands like DRI and Pantera were once labelled as metalcore. Metal genre arguments (any music genre for that matter) are quite ridiculous.

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Pre Cowboys/Phil Anselmo Pantera were powermetal.
    A lot of Iced Earth is indeed powermetal.

Steve DiGoridio has been in lots of bands, I dunno, but mabye he was in a powermetal band at one time.

14. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Pantera, pre 90's, and Iced Earth indeed fall under power metal. Steve Digiorgio did play in Control Denied, not a typical power metal band, but nonetheless a power metal band.

Metallica, KoRn, and Death definitely do not fall under the power metal banner. Please folks, use something like this as a general list of defining power metal bands, as it saves us all a big headache: http://www.metal-archives.com/browseG.php?g=power. It's not neccessarily 100% accurate, but it's more accurate than having a flame match here.

15. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    power metal seems to be a confused genre...i ran into this on a metal survey on myspace this week. Ive been involved in the metal scene since the early 80s....and yet i dont know any power metal bands evidently.....doesnt say much for the genre.

16. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Jari Kainulainen's work with Stratovarius was awesome. He's now in Evergrey. And no love for Markus Grosskopf?

17. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    He rocks hard, I love his Bassinvaders CD.:)

18. Jacoooooooooo!!!

j/K

Too bad this is "power metal only", anyway, if ever considered so, early Sypmhony X albums where Thomas Miller was driving the bass has awesome basslines.

besides, powermetal-wise, Rhapsody of Fire (aka 'Rhapsody') has some really powerfull basslines. Just a big earphone and your head will blow away with those lines on low end. I'm referring to one of the old bassist, Alessandro Lotta.

19. Oliver Holzwarth of Blind Guardian is pretty amazing
    The dude in Pagan's Mind (power prog, still power :O)
    The dude in Dragonland

20. sorry but metal-archives is 100% correct and is the ultimate reference (as being the only one that is complete enough) to discuss about metal genres.