Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best power option?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dkerwood, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Right now I'm using 6-8 pedals on my pedal board. A few years ago I built a power supply using a high mA power supply and hard wiring 8 plugs on it. Unfortunately, it's rather bulky, and looks a little unprofessional onstage.

So what's the best option for power? I have both the Boss TU-2 and the NS-1, each of which has the option to use the Boss daisy chain.

I realize that the daisy chain will be cheaper, but will it SOUND better if I buy a regulated multiple power supply, like the Pedal Power? Or should I get a One Spot and its daisy chain?

Or would it be best if I just picked up the SKB powered pedal board?

I need some people who have used more than one solution to give me some feedback before I go out and spend a lot of money here needlessly.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Could you put the old supply in a nicer box?

Separate supplies are used to solve ground loop problems. It sounds like the current supply is daisy chained. (Having them all in parallel is the same thing). If you are not having noise issues, then separate supplies are not required.

However, separate supplies do give you piece of mind if you add a new pedal. You don't have to worry about total power consumption or if the new pedal will break the camels back and introduce a ground loop (or bring it out).

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Basically, I designed the original to be too long. It's a daisy chain, for lack of a better term. I put 12" between every plug and the whole thing is wrapped in 1/2" cable wrapping.

I end up having 2 choices - either have a ton of looped cable between every pedal, or take it back and forth across the board. I usually take it back and forth across the board, but that makes for as many as 3 layers of this 1/2" wrapping in some places.

I think I may pick up some black velcro ties and see how that will help to get the cable mess under control. But I may still need to replace the power supply soon... and I do plan to replace the pedalboard itself with something that can actually close and travel well (mine is a 3x1.5' piece of plywood painted black and sporting strips of loop side velcro).

I don't notice any signal noise coming from the power supply, but I do notice some noise from a few specific pedals... I wonder if this might be introducing a ground loop?

Maybe I should try running everything with my power supply and then unplugging and running everything from batteries. See if there's a difference in noise. My noise suppressor defeats almost all of it, though...

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The battery idea is good since they are as close to "perfect" power supplies as you can get...... until they go dead ;)