1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Best" Powered monitor for Bass

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by peterpalmieri, Feb 25, 2016.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Here is what I am looking for, really looking to push things in a new direction for me. Been doing a bunch of direct and IEM gigs. It is also rare that I need to carry the house, but I occasionally will and want one solution. Recently purchased (haven't received yet) a Monique preamp. I want to add the highest quality powered monitor I can find, that will enable me to just run direct (not use it) or bring the powered monitor to accept my aux feed, providing me my bass and a monitor mix. I also want to be able to put it behind me as a backline, maybe stack two, as a traditional bass amp.

Beyond sound quality some of the things I'm looking for is: powered, wedge and vertical, the box is shaped so that you can stack two high if needed, meaning the top isn't slanted like a K12 or EV ZLX. reasonable weight either two in the 40lb range or one around 50 give or take. It has to sound absolutely great with bass as a standalone amp. The best I've come up with thus far is a JBL SRX815P. Other contenders are EV ETX-15P, ELX115P, QSC KW122, Mackie SRM650 or 550 and JBLPRX715 or 712.

These are at least the one's I know I can try at the local music stores, I've read about some names tossed around like Meyer's and L'acoustic. Of course Anthony Jackson uses a Meyer's powered cab that weighs 130lbs and doesn't function as a monitor.

I'm concerned some of the smaller one's won't carry the low end the way I want but I am open in either direction to two smaller cabs or one larger. Recognizing I could be setting myself up for failure I'd like to reach volumes exceeding what a traditional 2x10 bass cab will put out and be closer to a 4x10...

Any thoughts, real world experience?

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    peterpalmieri likes this.
  3. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    can you consider a sub AND a top ?

That's what I use , I use only the top on smaller gigs and get the sub for bigger/louder gigs.

I personaly use a RCF 902as as sub , it's 1000watts , weights 60 pounds.
    RCF - ART 902-AS
    It's a single 12'' , not as deep as a 18'' but portable and light.

Paired with a small top , makes a powerful , hi-fi solution.

There are so many choices in Powered boxes , lots of good stuff.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  4. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Thanks guys good ideas but neither fit my wedge criteria.

With regard to the srx815 I really like that you can control the DSP via an iPad. That would allow me to eat out some of the harshness some associate with using a pa speaker for bass. It would also allow me to set up different curves if I'm using it for a backline of as a wedge.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    We've been planning to do a wedge version of the FR800 more for FRFR guitar use than bass but still viable for bass. Just stuck on whether to go ported, sealed or something else - as soon as you go to a wedge shape you lose a lot of internal volume which can make it very hard to fit a port in which is big enough to not chuff with a high power woofer yet sufficiently low tuned to give good cone control. With a sealed cab you don't have to worry about that but you lose quite a lot of LF headroom.

LiquidMidnight and peterpalmieri like this.
  6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm a big fan of the qsc k-series ... Have tried a lot of powered boxes in the sound company context and more than a few bass rigs... In my opinion, it's a fools errand. None of the boxes you mention get below 60 with anything resembling the punch of a 4x10 - or a 2x12 - or a fearful 12.6. Period... As Alex noted, the wedge shape is not friendly to producing bass.

I do monitor with a K12 now and then. When I do, I am not expecting the visceral slam of a bass rig. Merely enough audible to let me discerne pitch. That is doable but the wedge can't be at your feet. At least 2 feet and preferably 3 feet out front is more like it so tight stages - pretty much a non-starter...

If I were lookin for a powered monitor, An old Berg IP cab - or a good plate amp adapted to something like a fearful 12.6 (Passinwind, TB handle has a likely candidate for sale) would be the direction I'd head...

s0c9 likes this.
  8. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Thanks Alex, keep me posted on your progess.

sOc9, I have taken a look at Atomic. Very few folks to reference how they've worked for bass and an inability to try one is keeping it off the short list.

9. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I like the k12 as well but they don't stack vertically and I'd need two for a backline. The SRX815p does go down to 36 hz. The good news is I will be able to go to a store to try it.

I do have a V4b and a bunch of traditional bass cabs. Maybe there isn't an option that will stand up and replace my backline when I carry the house but I will require the best wedge to not show up with a bass amp when I can get my own aux mix and not use IEMs.

It needs to be a wedge and it needs to be full range for the monitor mix.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Well Don, I still think yer tilting at a windmill... I will be interested to hear of the journey though. To satisfy myself, I seem to get further and further from the typical. So I appreciate where you're heading.

11. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I've been to a couple of music stores and listened (to recorded music) through a bunch of these cabs. Not enough experience to pull the trigger I will have to find a friendly enough salesman who will let me come in with a preamp and my bass and really put the screws to it.

12. I have used the Behringer B612D and it sounds great. Slanted for floor use or stackable. And 1500 watts to boot.

13. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I appreciate your comments, I may be in fact looking for a unicorn, if that's the case this becomes a learning experience. Thus far the SRX815P still stands out as the best option. Although after some of the other comments I may consider a passive wedge which there are some bass centric options. A better choice then trying to play one of these in the store is to order one or two and eat the shipping for a return if it doesn't work out

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've been really happy with the 'solidity' of the 12.6. I actually just bought an interesting compact mono power amp to drive it. My plan is preamp, board, aux mix to power amp and combine me along with the kick. for me on small stages, sometimes I'm right along side the kick and have a hard time hearing it. drives me nutz... So maybe you're a trend setter

15. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Same concept here, plenty of gigs with a house PA where I just need to hear myself maybe the drummer wants to hear me too. Often I find myself last in line when monitors are I. Short supply, keys on the other side of the stage or a horn. Traditional bass amp blowing at your knee caps and the singers up front wants you to turn down

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    a partial difference for me is that I always have a wedge. I
    I can sing lead up to 10 a night in this band plus harmony on 20 or so others. and given I own a small sound co, we are never short of wedges. we are also only a 4 pc which makes life much easier that it would be on a larger band.

17. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Have you ever used a JBL SRX-5p?

18. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    And now for something entirely different. I've been thinking about replacing my JBL EON10 G2 vocal monitor with this interesting offering from Samson. Two of them stacked on their sides might make a workable bass stack when not being used as floor monitors. Certainly not saying that they're 'best' but thought I'd throw it out there. I would only need one one of these as we only put my vocal through the monitor.

SamsonTech

M. M. :)

19. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I listened to those speakers (Samson). They sounded pretty good but the volume & bass is limited. Only listened to music. I'd guess the stock wouldn't be much louder then a 210. If that's all your looking for they could work.