1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Best" Powered monitor for Bass

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by peterpalmieri, Feb 25, 2016.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Here is what I am looking for, really looking to push things in a new direction for me. Been doing a bunch of direct and IEM gigs. It is also rare that I need to carry the house, but I occasionally will and want one solution. Recently purchased (haven't received yet) a Monique preamp. I want to add the highest quality powered monitor I can find, that will enable me to just run direct (not use it) or bring the powered monitor to accept my aux feed, providing me my bass and a monitor mix. I also want to be able to put it behind me as a backline, maybe stack two, as a traditional bass amp.

Beyond sound quality some of the things I'm looking for is: powered, wedge and vertical, the box is shaped so that you can stack two high if needed, meaning the top isn't slanted like a K12 or EV ZLX. reasonable weight either two in the 40lb range or one around 50 give or take. It has to sound absolutely great with bass as a standalone amp. The best I've come up with thus far is a JBL SRX815P. Other contenders are EV ETX-15P, ELX115P, QSC KW122, Mackie SRM650 or 550 and JBLPRX715 or 712.

These are at least the one's I know I can try at the local music stores, I've read about some names tossed around like Meyer's and L'acoustic. Of course Anthony Jackson uses a Meyer's powered cab that weighs 130lbs and doesn't function as a monitor.

I'm concerned some of the smaller one's won't carry the low end the way I want but I am open in either direction to two smaller cabs or one larger. Recognizing I could be setting myself up for failure I'd like to reach volumes exceeding what a traditional 2x10 bass cab will put out and be closer to a 4x10...

Any thoughts, real world experience?

2. BobbyLee2112

BobbyLee2112

May 15, 2009
    Im looking at the ELX115P but QSC-K12 is apparently the one...

3. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Seems like I posted this a million years ago. I've been using a pair of ELX112s not the powered version and am pretty happy with them and have used a k12 on a number of occasions.

I have not used them as a backline but as my monitor wedge when I can get away with my own aux send and enough confidence in The FOH that I don't need an amp.

4. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Could look at barefaced perhaps

5. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I know you found some boxes but if other are looking and find this thread:

Check out RCF in general , the 715 , as a 15'' is suitable for bass.
    RCF - ART 715-A MK II

peterpalmieri likes this.
  6. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
  7. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I had started this thread when I only had a Jule Monique. I have since bought an M700 and then upgraded it to a M2500. 1200w at 8 ohms, 2500w at 4 ohms and 2000w at 2 ohms.

Sometimes I use it as a traditional bass rig but other times I use it to power my pair of EV ELX112s as monitors.

If I was to buy powered monitors now I would certainly go for a pair of the new K12s.

derrico1 likes this.
  8. Yep, I use a k12. Either in front of me receiving an aux send also, or behind me for Bass only. If I thought I needed 2 I'd take a standard Bass rig.

9. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
  10. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Haven't heard these.

I'm a big fan of co-axial stuff ,but they are not created equal.
    I have L'Acoustic and Tannoy at work , L'Acoustic is about the best thing money can buy , Tannoys on the other hand (the one I have anyways) sound like Cr*p.

I now use a 108p as my bass monitor , had an incredible deal on a used one.
    I love coaxial boxes. (well conceived ones)

And worth knowing :
    Turbo sound is owned by Music Group.....

11. I know it's not the question you asked, but could you not use a kickback combo amp as a monitor, rather than foldback?

12. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Well of course you "could" but the question was more related to something that ideally doubles as a dedicated monitor mix.

13. Yeah I know, but just a thought, as being good for bass standalone as backline was also a requirement..... Maybe that and a small 10' powered monitor for the rest?

14. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    These seem pretty nice

IMG_0503.JPG

They are actually mains we just got for a band I'm using IEMs in. But a single ELX115P sounds pretty nice with Monique.

fokof and yodedude2 like this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Could you split your signal and run your bass through all of them and come back and describe that for us? :bassist:

16. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Oh come on, you don't think I did that already? It sounded good but I'd gues when I run Mo through a mixer and into them it will sound even better.

two fingers likes this.
  17. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    New Jersey US
    I have been using a pair of ELX 115P's in my band for the past 5 years. Great sound and clarity but I've grown tired of hauling them. Moving to the great sounding RCF 32A's.

fokof and peterpalmieri like this.
  18. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I added a new K12.2 to the mix. Nice option.