1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Practice Amp....for a Boat!!!???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BluesHolyMan, Oct 6, 2013.

1. BluesHolyMan

BluesHolyMan

Sep 28, 2013
    My wife and I are downsizing so we can move onto a Catamaran - so new gear acquisitions come with a stipulation of it takes up very little space.

The Roland JS-10 comes to mind, but I haven't seen/heard anyone playing a bass through it. The other option it seems is the MarkBass Micromark 801.

Need something I can practice with in a....uh...confined space and take to jam with friends...maybe play in very small venue with it...

Thoughts?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Although both of those would be great for solo practice in your situation, neither is going to cut it for a jam session or playing out in a small venue...especially with a drummer. IMO of course.

3. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    $T2eC16d,!zMFIdEp8OZIBSOhpZ52)g~~60_35.

How about an Ampeg "mini-fridge"? 100 or 200W of pure Ampeg tone in a very narrow package!

4. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Phil Jones Briefcase, narrow, small, can be battery powered. If you need more power, maybe the flightcase but that will be bigger. If you do not need more power or the battery option, go for the bass cub. Best sound you will get for the size IMHO.

5. I assume the boat will be plugged into shore power? Even so, there's not going to be a lot of AC power available (likely 30 amps or maybe less...TOTAL for the boat).

My travel trailer has 30 amp service. I can barely run the AC and the microwave at the same time, but practically nothing else...

IMHO an even bigger problem will be humidity. Any metal on a boat that's not stainless steel or aluminum rusts quite quickly. Very, very quickly.

6. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    I'm in a larger house, (for a while anyway,) and play alot thru a Roland microcube and headphones. What kind of cat?

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The Carvin MB10 is my favorite little amp ever. Loud, clear a punchy. 200 watts by itself and 250w with extension. VERY reasonable price. The Python Snakeskin would look killer on a boat. They're charging ZERO extra for the special covering now! :p

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/MB10

:bassist:

8. BluesHolyMan

BluesHolyMan

Sep 28, 2013
    As for the cat, we haven't decided on an exact model but we are looking in the 50-60ft range - it will also do charters so we need the space for that. Finding one is proving to be a fun adventure.

How does the microcube sound? I have the Roland 20XL for guitar and it does nice.

I find that a large part of being inspired to play is how the instrument sounds through the amp. I need all the help I can get

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Lots of good options. I'd personally go with a 16-lb Greenboy Audio Crazy8, which can get as loud as a good 110 and will do fine in a coffee-shop/small restaurant/jazzy-folky setting. Super clear, high fidelity sound. I also use a pair of these as mains in my home studio and one as a floor monitor.

More info here --> http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/crazy8-crazy88-868215/

As for practicing on your Cat, I used to do a similar thing in a marina in San Francisco. On the water, sound travels EVERYWHERE. You'll probably easily piss off your marina mates who are looking for a quiet time on the water unless practicing is done through headphones or IEMs. Just a thought....

Here's what the Crazy8 looks like atop a footstool:

[​IMG]

10. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Toronto
    I have the Ibanez Promethean 1x10. It's not much bigger than the speaker inside, has a headphone out, decent eq section and will easily keep up with a drummer. Built like a tank too.

11. I use a Phil Jones Double Four on my boat. Affordable, small, light, and with the passive radiator, naturally deep sounding.

12. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Phil Jones seems sensible given the battery option, but on that big a boat I guess you'll have inverters, big generator, 50 amp shore power, etc. I like the really small Genz Benz 3.0/8T or 10T options for small grab-and-go situations - they seem to cover a room better than the Markbass with 2 6" speakers, and it's easy to use the amp as a headphone module with the speaker stashed elsewhere - have done this when traveling.

13. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    WWJD: A slight yacht upgrade is in order:)
    http://www.geekwire.com/2011/mick-jaggers-music-studio-paul-allens-megayacht/

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    iPhone for practice.

A storage locker on shore for an amp.

15. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    +1

I heard one of the Phil Jones suitcase models the other day, and it is unbelievable how loud and how nice it sounds!!

(then again, for that price...!)

16. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    And salt air is not friendly to aluminum.
    My recommendation would be to read up on ACF-50 and spritz everything with it...

17. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I lived on a boat for 7 years and still spend a lot of time aboard a much bigger boat than I lived on.

The Phil Jones stuff is definitely the right size, I have a BG-100 and am medium satisfied with the tone when practicing alone; but it does sit well in a mix of acoustic guitars. However I love the sound of the preamp with a pair of headphones. I've never tried a briefcase but it's basically a Bass Buddy with a power amp attached to a speaker cabinet. I've heard it's not too loud. Again the headphone/practice circuit in my BG-100 kills so I have to imagine the Briefcase would be excellent too and perhaps more sonically satisfying through the speakers. The BG-100 also comes with a really nice bag to tote it around. If you are looking at the Flightcase or the Suitcase you are getting more into single 10 and single 12 territory where space is concerned and your money would go a lot farther do that.

I've also owned a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0/10T which was a great little amp all the way around and to this day I'm not sure why I sold it (okay it was GAS I admit). With that said I've also used a Berg AE112 and what ever micro head I have at the time many times onboard. It's a bit big but very satisfying. I dig the Crazy 8 and 88 concept by the way.

I've got an Eden CX110 that I keep around these days for just such an occasion and I think if I were playing on the boat more I'd be using it for that.

I think a nicely voiced single 10 or similar with your favorite micro head would be my target if I were in your shoes. If you are living on a large modern cat then you should have plenty of space!

With regard to rust when I lived aboard I used a lot of standard consumer grade audio and video stuff. Never any major issues with rust or corrosion except stuff with cheap plating. I'd just get what you want and not get hung up on corrosion. If you live aboard your interior will be much more dry than if stuff was sitting there with nobody aboard.