Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best practice amp for newbie?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I am going to buy a GSR200 ibanez bass guitar. I will need an amp too . . .. . what is the best practice amp I can get that is the best bang for your buck?

2. It depends on what you want. I have a $50 15w fender with a single 8 and its loud enough to hear myself when playing alone in my room or with someone with an acoustic guitar, but if you want to play with another guitarist with an amp, look for like a 100watt/ 15"speaker combo. My Bassman 400 was loud enough for like a 25 peice jazz band in pretty big halls, but its not loud enough when Im playing rock with a guitarist with a big stack. It all depends on what you NEED.

3. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    For now im just looking to jam along to music on my stereo. When im ready for a band im going to skip the middle crap and go balls to the walls and spend about 1 grand.

p.s. thanks for the reply :)

4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I used to have an Ampeg B-50R - sold it for $275, I think. Great sounding amp - a cheap way to get the Ampeg vibe. Certainly loud enough for what you plan on using it for and would even allow you to jam in small settings. Most practice amps sound like practice amps - this one sounds like a smaller version of a big amp (if that makes any sense at all)...

Of course, it may be overkill, but...

5. If your looking for a practice amp you'll use at home to work your chops I suggest a Peavey Micro Bass.. It's only 15W but it's loud enough to play along with a CD on your computer or home stereo. Best thing about it is that it sounds like a real bass amp. I've played through a 30W Custom and it can't compare to the Micro Bass. The Peavey is a cheap deal. Just over a $100....

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Try as many as you can, and let your ears decide.

You may want to look at a Fender Bassman 25. It's a stout little combo with great tone IMO, and I think it has a CD/cassette player input with its own gain control.