Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Practice Amp for the home?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WATCHTHECHORD, Oct 30, 2003.

1. WATCHTHECHORD

WATCHTHECHORD

Oct 28, 2003
    NewYork
    What is the best practice AMP for the home for 300 bucks or so, i am a newbie so i dont need anything crazy, also do i need a head for a practice amp..thanks in advance....!

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm happy with my Tech21 Landmark 60:
    [​IMG]

Another small combo that's impressed me is Fender's Bassman 25:
    [​IMG]
    I'm personally fond of kickback designs like these...

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've had the opportunity to practice through one of those Tech 21 Landmark 60 amps. I was impressed with the sound. I would have to agree with HeavyDuty on his suggestion.

4. WATCHTHECHORD

WATCHTHECHORD

Oct 28, 2003
    NewYork
    What about the Fender bassman 60, would that be ok....i have seen it for 389...wiliing to go up a few bucks for a practice AMP....this site is unreal so damn helpful.....looking foward to my christmas gift....a nice Warwick...or Fender...some where in the thousand dollar range and an AMP...im a beginner cant you tell how excited i am...!

5. Hi,

my advice is to get yourself an acoustic bass guitar.

There are many advantages to having an acoustic. The first is that you can practice at low volume (even practice amps have been known to annoy family members). But more importantly, an acoustic bass standing in the corner of the room just invites you to pick it up and practice - you walk in your room, pick the bass up from the stand, practice your scales, etc. then put it down when the door rings.

My advice is to try and get the nicest acoustic bass you can find which will make you want to play it. Mine is a Da Capo fretless (my only fretless) and it beckons me whenever I see it.

Enjoy.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I REALLY enjoy my Ampeg BA115, as a practice amp. It has a headphone jack, so I don't annoy the whole family. ( Actually, my wife enjoys my playing so its not that big of a deal, so I haven't even bought headphones, yet! )

Plus, it has enough power that you can really enjoy yourself,,should you want to.

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I can't recommend a particular amp or brand, but I have to agree with McHack - a good practice amp will not only have a headphone jack, but RCA inputs that will accept output from a CD player or tape deck. This is not only good for private practice, but headphones allow you to hear more of the music when trying to learn songs by ear.

jd

8. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Another vote for the Ampeg BA115. Best practice amp ever. It's even big enough to use for small gigs. It's got RCA and headphone jacks too...

9. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    laney hcm65b? has all them rca jack and a headphone output, also has room for an extension cab. I love mine for in the house, also has a line out which ive used for pa at gigs, if the amp is set up on a table or something it's fine for use as a monitor

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you have $300, buy an amp you can use for jamming with others or even gigging (if that's your goal). Otherwise whatever money you spend on a practice amp will be that much more you'll need to save to get a bigger amp later.

I made the mistake of starting out with a small amp and the first time I was asked to jam I was buried. I went to the music store that day and bought a bigger amp.

You can always turn the volume down on a bigger amp for practicing at home but you can't make a small "practice" amp loud enough to gig with :meh:

In one sense the "best" practice amp is one you can keep plugged in all the time so all you have to do is sit down, turn it on and start playing. Sound is the #2 consideration.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm happy with my sadowsky stomp box going into my Shure PSM 600 into my in-ear thing-a-ma-jig

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've been tracking winning bids on Ebay, for various combo amps & heads, for a few months now.

The average winning bid for an Ampeg BA115 on Ebay, is $292 over the past few months.

13. For value for money you can't really beat Peavey in the practice amp area, the Basic 112 is a really good piece of kit, around $250, but you can get them for $100 used.

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I really hate the term "Value". It implies that you've gotta sacrafice quality,, to save a buck. If a person's willing to spend 300 bones, don't try to sell him on a $100 Peavey.

15. i've always thought of the word "value" as something that's a good deal. Like good bang for the buck. It doesn't necessarily imply that something is low in quality, just good for the price.

16. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
  17. WATCHTHECHORD

WATCHTHECHORD

Oct 28, 2003
    NewYork
    Hey Brian Great point you bring, which of course i did not think of, i am one that hates to buy things twice, so i will take your advice and buy something a little bigger even if its more money, i can always turn the volume down, i for sure need something that takes headphones, i would hate for my neighbors to hear my lowsy playing especially when im just learning....Ouch if they hear me.....embarassing.

18. I haven't tried the new fender combos, but they might be worth checking out. good price.

new fender combo amps

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i just recently got a Raven Labs PHA-1 from (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur, and WOW, what sweet lil' device for practicing at home!

http://www.raven-labs.com/pages/products/pha1/pha1.html

[​IMG]

allows quiet practicing that doesnt sound half bad thru my headphones. also has a thru jack, where i can plug in a CD player, and play along to my fav tracks.

incredibly handy, and doesnt bug my gf when she's watching TV, and i'm jammin' away.

20. Ens

Ens

Feb 11, 2001
    Finland
    I recently bought a Roland Cube 30 Bass combo (300 €). It features 30 watt amp, 10" speaker with a combined tweeter, 6 digital amp models plus some groovy effects like auto-wah and reverb. I've enjoyed it to the full, it's got lots of features in one small package. Works great as a practice amp. And it doesn't sound as bad as one might think. :)

Check it out <a href="http://www.roland.co.jp/worldwide/products/NEW/html/CUBE-30_BASS.html">here</a>.