1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best practice amp that still thumps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by breckscratcher, Jun 14, 2007.

1. breckscratcher

breckscratcher Guest

Jan 18, 2007
    i've head the phil jones briefcase is hard to beat, any other suggestions for a practice amp that can still be played loud with a drummer that doesn't take a dolly to move around?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I don't think the pj briefcase can hold its own with a drummer....

3. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    My Fender Rumble 100 isn't terrible, but you sure have to max it out on the volume as well as the EQ to be heard over a band. Forget about feeling the lows too.

4. TyronPotamkin

TyronPotamkin

Dec 12, 2006
  5. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    surprisingly, the Peavey Basic 60 I've had for almost 20 years was adequate at times to jam with a drummer. It's still going strong.

6. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout the only combo you'll ever need.
    I use mine as a mini rig of doom stacked on an Aggi GS112, the tone absolutely kills, I like it better than all my rigs. Be it the SVT II Pro, Eden Nav\Crest CA 6 or Thunderfunk into DR Bass 2260, Berg Ht322, Eden 410 XLT or Acme Low B2. It is just deep clean and powerful, plenty of mid punch with meaty bottom.

Buy one - you'll be happy.

Toby

7. I know I've plugged it before, but the Contra EX cab from AI is way more versatile than I thought it would be. Mine is the older series at 200W. Obviously the fact I already had the Focus SA and a couple of small preamp options made the decision to buy the cab as my "practise" amp much easier... still, it does meet the needs: small and able to work with a reasonable drummer.

AIPracAmp.jpg

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The Markbass 2X10 combo that I tried out was pretty good.

9. I still got my Ibanez Soundwave 35 (35w), its about 10+ years old and still works great. The sound is great, i love this amp some times more than my Main rig X'D

10. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have been using the Basic 60 for a very long time as well. Most of my rehearsals are at moderately low volumes, so that old feller hangs tough through it all. It's quite nasty, grill work is roughed up quite a bit, the passive input jack likes to cut out now and then, it has more than one significant beverage spill stain on it, but the thing keeps on pumping :D

Great testament to the quality of the Peavey line .... :cool:

11. Hi, breckscratcher.

IMO/IME any decent small bass amp elevated to the chest/ear level handles the "normal" practice levels. Or tilted in an amp stand towards You.

Just my 0,02€
    Sam

12. i think the PJ amp has made a mistake, if they took off the speakers from the side and put bigger speakers on the side like VOX amps, then they would be alot louder and even more worth getting.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021