Best Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FUNKIESTMUNK, Apr 19, 2001.

Feb 25, 2001
    I've been looking for a practice amp just to kick around when I can't use my rig, basically moving my whole rig (Trace Elliot 1048 + 1518 + head) up and down a flight of stairs just to practice is a pain in the butt. Anyway I was wondering what you lovely people recommend. I've been looking for something similar to a Trace Elliot Boxer 15 or Hartke B20, basically that price range. If you haven't actually owned an amp like this but know of a web site which has reviewed similar amps, please let us know...

2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Peavey Microbass. Cheap, very portable, actually sounds pretty good, especially for an amp that size. And mind you, this comes from a regular Peavey-basher. ;)
    The Eq section doesn't do much (what bass control?), but it's a great practice amp. Could even compete volume-wise with some acoustic guitars and/or piano, if you'd want it to. If I needed one, I think I'd buy one myself... no wait, that would hurt my pride too much. :D
  3. what price range is that that you are looking at?
    How much power are you looking for?
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I agree with Oysterman. I have a Peavey microbass amp. For a simple 1X8 amp, it sounds very nice.
    Try one out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Hope this helped.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SWR Workingman's 10, or better, the Workingman's 12.
  6. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    I had the microbass. Real good and I though it was real loud so I wouldn't turn it up afraid that i was disturbing the peace. Ha then I got a old yamaha and thought the same thing. Now i have my fender and thatsa loud mother. but anways the microbass is a super good practice amp. I think they retail for about $60(us)-used maybe.. not sure
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC has a review of practice amps they did a few years ago.

I have a Peavey Minx110 and my friend has a Peavey MicroBass, and they are IMO the best practice amps I have heard. While admittedly the EQ section does squat both sound surprisingly good and they (like most Peavey stuff) can take a beating. I've had my Peavey for over 5 years and have had absolutely zero problems with it even after dropping it a few times. The Minx 110 is plenty loud enough to play along with a couple acoustics or a piano.
  8. crate bx15. it's an 8 in. speaker. you can do whatever to it, it will never break. ever. throw it down the stairs, set fire to it, whatever'll never croak.

.....or from my experience.
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I agree on the Peavey brand too, but I think that the Minx-110 is a better buy. the 10-inch speaker is great for bass tones and you can actually gig in small cafes and places like that.

Will C.:cool:
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Minx and the Microbass both sound very good, but I have another one to recommend.

Fender Bassman 25. 25 watts(duh!:p) and a single 10" Eminence driver. Amazingly, this small, low priced amp reproduces the low B of a good 5 or 6 stringer amazingly well. Much better than the aforementioned SWR Workingman's 10(Sorry, Munji!;)).

And it is the loudest 25 watt bass amp I have ever played. Louder than the 50 watt Ampeg BA112, and as loud as the 80 watt Workingman's 10. I went into my local shop expecting to buy the Ampeg or the SWR, and was amazed by the Bassman 25.

I played it later that evening at a church fellowship meeting, accompanying a grand piano and a reasonably quiet drummer. Set the amp on about 5, tone controls flat, and played my Sonus Custom fretless 5 through the amp for service. The building seats 200, was about 3/4 full, my wife sat midway back and said that she could hear me loud and clear and that it sounded good. Another person who sat near the back said he could hear me fine too.

I've got 3 big, loud combos, but I wanted a small combo to play in the bedroom and to tote around for these fellowships. Usually don't need a ton of volume for them.

The little Fender does the job very well, reproduces the low B of my Pedulla and Zon at near the same volume as the open E, and has great tone too.
  11. Another Fender vote. I have the older BXR25, but it is a fine amp. The Bassman 25 that Jeff talks about is apparently even better...I have never even seen one here in Turkey.

I gig with mine.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Andy, no knock against the BXR 25, but the Bassman 25 smokes it. Much louder. And for my ears, better tone, too.:)
  13. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I think the Peavey TKO is a good choice. It has a 15" speaker, graphic EQ etc. If you use a direct out it is loud enough for small clubs. It is light enough to move by yourself.
  14. The Fender importer here in Turkey has over 20 BXR25s still in stock. And he is not importing the Bassman till he has sold the BXRs. I am currently trying to import one from Germany, but with little success so far. Exclusive country dealerships suck!

The Bassman 25 sounds ideal for me. I have been gigging regularly with the 100 since last september. That's about 45-50 gigs. I like the thing more and more every gig.
  15. madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I dig Crate BX-15. It's my only amp since I use other people's amps when I actually play. Get the Crate. :cool: It won't break... and it's portable too!
  16. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    hey Andy,
    how is the Bassman100?
    are you using it without sound reinforcement or as a monitor on your gigs?
    how does it compare to the Trace 715 (if you ever tried one that is)?
  17. I dont like my Crate Bx-15.. Sure its built like a tank, and i could beat it with a baseball bat and it would still work, but i dont like the sound! It can barely handle a low E, let alone a D or B. It farts those notes out, especially if the volume is past 5.. I reccomend a bit bigger of an amp, like a peavy Minx or even Microbass(not really bigger), or the Bassman 25 or the Peavey TKO if you want to push it..
  18. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    no one tried the vox t 25?
  19. The Bassman 100 is fine. Good definition, easy to dial, loud enough, nice tone (sort of upgraded trad tone) and is extremely portable. As I go to gigs by cab, I have to carry everything in one go. I can do it with this amp (I use a light suitcase trolley to wheel it around).

I have never played a Trace 715, but I used to have a 712. Actually, I sold the 712 for the Bassman.

The trace probably has a slight edge on build quality, but soundwise the Fender wins hands down (for me). Volume levels are comparable.

We play rock and roll and country rock, so we are not a high volume band. In medium clubs I run through the PA. In small bars we all go naked. I prefer the naturist approach, because bar PAs are rarely satisfactory.