Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Practice Set up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillSC, Sep 16, 2002.

1. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    I am looking for a set up that works well for practicing (headphones). This setup will be in an apartment where "boom" is definitely an issue. Am I wiser to buy a low watt practice amp and use headphones, or can I get a efect unit that i can paly directly into. I have a Zoom 500 something, but frankly, I just dont like the "thin" sound it gives my bass. I have read a lot of the negatives regarding multi-effects...so what do I need to do here? Thanks for your help!!!

2. I'm thinking this is more of an amp issue, you may be better off getting a headphone preamp. Fodera makes one that's pretty good, and most rack preamps will have headphone outs.

3. Try the Korg PX4B Bass personal multi effects prossesor.I went to a bass clinic given by Nathan East during Eric Claptons last tour.Nathan said he used the older version(PX3B)for practicing and he isn't one of Korgs endorsers.It sounds good and has amp models,drum patterns and lots of different effects.It's kind of pricey but is a lot cheaper than a practice amp and drum machine.