Best pre-gig meal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassteban, Oct 22, 2005.

1. If you could specify, what would be on the table backstage(food & drink only, please)at your next gig? I just had some nice California rolls, & they make me want to play. :bassist:
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm not picky. I'd just like it to meet two conditions:

1. It's tasty.

2. It does not result in explosive diarrhea.

brad cook
  3. 1. So, whatcha want?
    2. So, is barely-controllable yet not-quite-fully-categorizable-as-explosive...
    Oh, never mind.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well I dig gourmet stuff as much as the next guy, but pre-gig? I could go for some really good chicken strips (with a bowl of really good honey mustard and a bowl of ranch).

brad cook
  5. I prefer to eat after gigs, because fr some reason I dont like feeling full and playing a show. Maybe Im weird.
  6. Nothing like downing something that has a ton of carbs before a gig, a big plate of pasta or rice or such, is great, aslong as its an hour or so, maybe a bit longer, before a gig, then your really up for it and are wanting to dive about like an idiot :D
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

That was exactly what i was thinking. Explosive Diarrhea sucks.
  8. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd even consider #1 negotiable, but #2 is definately mandatory.
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Something filling for about an hour or so before a gig. As was said before, carbs are great an hour or so before the gig (good ones, like rice and pasta etc.) greasy foods will undoubtedly lead to feeling ***** and possibly explosive diarrhea.

Right before a gig; lots of water, veggies and fruits.
  10. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Fried chicken . . . 'nuff said. :cool: :bassist:
  11. Popular opinion seems to be that a meal that causes explosive diarrhea is not conducive to a good gig. I must agree, though I've never missed a gig for that reason...
  12. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
  13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Me too. I never eat right before a gig. If I have time to eat a couple hours before, it works out, but if not, then it is off to Denny's or Perkins or IHOP or a truckstop (in other words, any 24 hour restaurant will do at that time of the morning).
  14. You have a table backstage with food & drink??!!! You California boys certainly know how to go first class. I eat whatever the wife fixes for dinner before a gig. It's usually not too heavy. California rolls are ok but ebi, ika, maguro and tako would be a lot better.
  15. I've had a snack table laid out once or twice- for the headliner, mind you. Usually it's Jack on the way. Sometimes it ain't jack. :rollno:
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    A light sushi meal has been my favorite in the past but I like Against Will's sugestion of fruits and veggies. Im going to try that next time.
  17. with thie explosive poop idea, why dont you keep some pepto in your gig bag, I always have a bottle of pepto , advil, tylonal in my car just in case, plus some percatcet but I dont use that to often
  18. definately not small pieces of bread to make sandwhiches with.. "its a joke, thats what it is, its a bloody joke"
    damn i love that movie
  19. about a year ago my band had a huge meal of Chili con Carne, like one hour before a show. No rice, no pasta or patatoes, just pure meat, chili and beans. wow...

On top of being nervous (it was our 5th gig as a band), that meal made me and several other band members go to the bathroom 10 times before the show!! :rolleyes:
  20. i don't like to eat anything before a gig, but i do like to drink before a gig...what i drink is for another thread... ;)