1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best pre to "open up" Barts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bgartist, Apr 2, 2009.

1. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Pedulla Thunderbolt I really like but I want to tweak the tone. It has Bart BC pickups, specially wound for Pedulla, and a Bart preamp. I really like the feel of the neck and the ergonomics of the body. It just seems a bit too dark sounding. I really don't want to rout the body for new pickups (like Nordstrands). I've searched Aguilar and Glockenklang preamps and am interested. I have a bass with the Aguilar OBP-3 and Nordstrands that I like. Which of these 2 preamps (or any other) do you think will "wake up' the Barts?

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't know what size Barts Pedulla uses but you shouldn't have to reroute for different pickups if you were to go that route. There are a lot of pickups that are the same size as most Bartolini's.....Also, the Bartolini Classic Bass pickups are much more open sounding than the one's in your Pedulla.

As for preamps, I've always loved Demeter preamps with Bartolini pickups....one of my favorite combos. Much more open sounding than the Bart pre. The Glock should be really good as well.

3. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I believe he is talking about onboard preamps to be honest. Demeter doesn't make an onboard pre, do they?

4. I hate to be 'Mr Passive Guy', but you may like how they sound without a preamp installed. I love the sound of passive Barts myself. Easy to try.
    Having said that, the East pre is very nice, but I eventually removed it...

5. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Demeter does indeed make a onboard pre, I have it on my Roscoe and I love it.
    Nordstrand has the BC sized covers, but for a 5 strings you better call the shop.
    You have a PM

M

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Absolutely they do.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yep...

MM

8. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I have the bc4c pups and a glock pre. So far I really like the combination. The glock can have the treble boost all the way and still sound very musical, not harsh or abrasive. I have bart j pups with a bart pre in another bass and not nearly as happy with that combo. I have heard the demeter and glock are very similar.

9. bgartist

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I did check with Nordstrand about the BC covers (that was my 1st choice)- can't do it with 19mm spacing. Well, they can if you get custom wood covers made elsewhere.

10. bgartist

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The BC shape is smaller than the average pickup for a wide spaced 5 string. I think Pedulla uses the same pickup on 4 and 5 string basses. Many pickup manufactures make pickups in the Bart P2 shape (Nordstrand, Basslines). I have looked into the Bart Classic pickups, too.

Maybe the BC classics and the Glock?

11. bgartist

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    My Pedulla Rapture has Bart j pickups and Bart pre. I like that combo. Its my #1 player. I think its because they are single coils. I'm looking for a different flavor for the Thunderbolt.

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I suggest try switching pickups first. I agree the Bart CB series might be a good choice as well. Your existing pre-amp may be fine unless the voicing is slanted towards a darker and thunkier tone as well. I do recall having the same impression of that bass when I tried it some years ago.
    Good luck :)

13. before you do all that.. try one thing. back off one pickup's volume about 1/4. this seems to "open up" ALL 2 pickup basses for me. j's, soapbars, MM's, anything.. something about the phase relationship. it always brings a bass to life for me, maybe it will work for you.

14. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    +1

15. bgartist

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Any more opinions?

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I agree with emjazz on going with the Demeter. I've installed it in several bass and it always improved the sound of the instrument.

IMO it would totally open up the tone of your bass. I believe that you'd be very surprised how much better your Pedulla Barts sound with the Demeter. A lot of Roscoe players use the Demeter with the Roscoe Barts (which are also very dark and compresssed) and it really opened up the sound.
    You could describe it similar to playing a bass through a speaker cabinet with a blanket over it and then removing the blanket. Much more open sounding.

I installed a stock Demeter pre in an Ibanez with some EMG jazz p/u's (for a local player) and it greatly improved the sound of that bass.

TB'er Crashclint has some experience with both the Glock and the Demeter pre's & although he stated that the Glock and Demeter were similar, he also stated that the Glock lacked the glassy highs of the Demeter, which IMO is one of the best attributes of the Demeter pre.

I just received a Tyler Demeter pre yesterday (I had it custom ordered from James). It's very similar to the Roscoe Demeter except it has more control of the low mids (in lieu of the upper mid's). It also has the mid switch to change the center mid freq. I'm eventually going to try it in another Roscoe.

17. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I have a Glock pre in my Warrior with Bart X5 pups. I do like the sound of it much better than the Bart pre it came with. My bass is still a bit dark because of the woods (walnut, wenge, ebony) but the glock cleaned it up a good bit. I would be interested in trying a Demeter onboard unit sometime. I have only seen one once and the bass wasn't working for me to try. (a heavily modded Tobias)

18. bgartist

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    So I ended up going with the Bart Classic series pickups and the Glock 2 band pre. The difference is like night and day! The bass was very dull, before, in comparison. This is the tone that I imagined. It had a very thick, low-mid tone before. Now its more balanced with crisp highs. I highly recommend this combo.

19. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Good choice, congrats.

20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Cool! I ordered the Bart CB's in my new Roscoe and they really sound great! Much more open than the std. Roscoe Bart's. I had thought about giving the Glock pre a try but Roscoe didn't offer them and a TB'er that installed it in his Roscoe stated that although it really sounded good, it didn't have the glassy highs of the Demeter. That was one thing I was really going for.

I did install the new Roscoe (or maybe Tyler?) Demeter in my new Roscoe and it sounds awesome! So good that I ordered another as a back up (just in case ......). You never know when they will stop offering them! ;)
    It's a shame that Roscoe stopped offering them. By far the best sounding pre in a Roscoe.

Maybe I'll get around to trying the Glock down the road but I'm quite content for now!

Glad to hear that the Glock got the sound you were after.:bassist: